From the Hole in the Ice

Taury was a young fisherman, he spent his days alone cutting holes into the thick ice.On this day the cold wind of his icy world grew quiet long enough to hear loud noises occurring below him.

"Whales maybe?" he said to himself.

His thoughts dwelled on what else it could possibly be as he had heard frightening stories of the terrors of the depths below.

Just tales he thought but he opened his thick coat and unsheathed his sword. He placed it near his chair on a table to have it at the ready.

The wind picked up again and Taury no longer heard the noises from below, he continued to break the hole in the ice and began to daydream of his supper.

Not much time had passed when he began to see a light shining through the whole below him, a lantern fish maybe, he thought.

But the light increased and was so blinding he turned and stumbled from his chair walking away from his fishing hole. The wind picked up and filled the air with thick snow, he could not see a thing for a brief moment in time. He thought he heard the water splashing.

"My fish!" he exclaimed while turning to the fishing hole in the deep ice.

But to Taury's amazement he saw a Humanoid figure standing between him and the fishing hole.

It was a young woman wearing some kind of space suit with a giant helmet, he gazed into the helmet but all he could see was bright light, he lifted the heavy hood from his coat to reveal his face to the woman.

She removed her helmet but still all Taury could see was a bright light, in moments as though she were scanning Taury's own face the light began to diminish, Taury squinted he could almost swear he was seeing the light forming a face, a human face.

"Who are you?" Taury asked.

"The names Ayva!" The young woman replied as she walked towards him.

"Where did you come from?" Taury asked.

Ayva walked around Taury seeming to ignore him, she turned to his table covered in fishing equipment. Her gaze fixated on the sword that had been placed down upon the table.

The marking of a feline symbol, the purple jewel on the hilt, the fine craftsmanship of the blade, it appeared to have a shimmer of specks within the metal.

"My names Taury, that sword there has been in my family for generations, it's kind of an heirloom" Taury explained as Ayva appeared to ignore him.

She looked back at Taury with contempt, her thoughts circled on how to steal the blade, if she could run fast enough to get away from Taury.