2

"BEGONE DEVIL, I CAST THEE OUT OF THIS WOMAN, OUT OF THIS CHURCH, AND OUT OF THIS WORLD!" Eli danced about the pews in his frantic manner. Sweat beaded across his brows as they furrowed in concentration. His arms flailed and his body shook. The church's eyes followed him from the pew to the door as he threw the "devil" with all his strength from the church. Once he did so he dropped his arms, his vest pulling tight and wrinkling around his back as he folded over himself and heaved from exhaustion. The audience clapped, and raised their hands to him. He grabbed each one as he walked to his place at the front of the church, kissing their fingers and whispering prayers to them. As he passed you he placed his hand on your head and bent down to your level to speak softly in your ear, away from the others' detection.
"Stay after a bit, we can address our conversation from last night." He whispered a blessing into the top of your head and kissed it as he stood. You nodded as he continued his walk through the pews.
The sermon ended with some hymns and a group," Amen."
You stayed put as the others filed out of the church. Eli stepped out to say goodbye to everyone while you sat and fiddled with your hands. Once the bustle of everyone had died down, Eli stepped back in. His shoes clacked against the wooden floors in a slow rhythmic pattern. Your breath quickened in anticipation. You had no idea what he planned to do, what you would say, how he would react. The sound of his steps halted and he sat in the pew behind you, reaching his arms up and rested them on the back of your bench.
"So." He said, taking a deep breath. "Do you feel like talking now?" His voice was soft and considerate. He had the charisma that made you want to melt into him. Like, you could tell him anything and everything and he would understand.
"Lust." You said. The words made your hands tremble with guilt. You didn't look back at him, but you knew his face. You knew the way his brows were creasing his forehead, how he was nodding contemplatively. The sound of fabric rustling filled the silence as he readjusted himself.
"Who?" He said, aggression seeping into his tone ever so slightly. You didn't respond.
"What for?" He said, you were still silently picking at the skin around your finger nails. "You want to be forgiven do you not? You have to tell me." His words were firm but not loud, he did not use volume as a means of emotion. Eli was not a yeller.
"A person." You said, your vagueness only frustrated him more, but you could not bring yourself to tell him. There was a pause, he took a long breath, and stood.
"Alright, well you can come to me anytime you wish to confess." He walked out with an angered pace, quick and loud steps.
"I want you." You said quietly, mostly for yourself so you could know that you did it. You prayed he hadn't heard, but his steps stopped and your breath hitched in your throat. You continued looking forward in the pew, a wooden cross directly in your view.
"What?" He said. You turned to look at him. He was standing at the entrance of the church, the light from the opening hitting his eyes causing him to squint as he looked at you.
"You said something?"
"Um no, I didn't"
"Alright."
He left.