Tragic News

Reya was in the midst of searching for her purse when a knock sounded on her front door. With a frown, she answered it.

A First Lieutenant stood on the other side of the threshold and handed her a sealed envelope. "I'm terribly sorry, Miss O'Neil."

Reya's brow furrowed. "What do you mean? Riley's okay, right?"

"I'm afraid not."

Hastily, Reya opened the letter and her eyes skimmed the ink, the paper becoming stained with circular droplets.

"I have to start planning a funeral. Thank you."

The First Lieutenant nodded, saluted and left.

Since she had the day off, which she was grateful for, she called her friend.

"Hello?"

"Sam, did you hear about Riley?"

"I was there, Reya. I'm so sorry. There was nothing I could have done."

"What exactly happened? I got a letter, but it didn't explain a lot."

Sam sighed. "Rescue op gone wrong. An RPG knocked him from the sky. We didn't even see it coming."

"Did he suffer?"

"No. He told me to watch out for you before he died. It was a quick death, Reya."

She let out a shaky breath, trying not to break down. "Good. Um, thanks, Sam."

"Yeah. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to reach out. I'm here for you. Whatever you need."

"I appreciate that. And the same goes for me. I, uh, I just need some time."

"Take all the time you need. But don't be a stranger, Rey."

"Never. Um, I'll see you soon, Sam."

"See you soon, Reya."

Reya hung up and collapsed on the floor as she began sobbing, hugging the letter close to her chest.

"I never got to say goodbye, Riley," she whispered. "I never got to say goodbye!"

Her sobs turned silent as she gasped for air, still clutching the letter close.