𝟏.𝟗

"why does that matter?"

-

"What?" The shriek was heard through the whole of the O'Hara household.

"You heard me, Ciara O'Hara. You cannot stay over at Erin's house the night before a big exam. You need to study or you're not going to pass." Donnagh said harshly as she made her way around her kitchen with her daughter trailing behind her.

Erin had invited all of her friends, including Ciara, to her house for a sleepover. Ciara really wanted to go, she desperately pleaded with her mother about it.

Ciara sighed and tried to get in front of her mother who wasn't so much as looking her in the eye, "Mammy, everyone else is going to be there. It's a study sleepover, we'll be doing work. Clare's going, Michelle and James are-"

"James?" Donnagh raised one eyebrow in a questioning manner, "well you're definitely not going now. You're not staying overnight with a boy."

Ciara groaned and stomped her feet, "Mammy! It's not like that! Please?" She stuck out her bottom lip to get some sympathy from her mam.

Ciara's mam finally looked at her, "no. You're not going and that's that. Now put that away." She poked her daughter's lip.

Ciara left the room without saying anything else. She went out to the phone in the hall and dialed the Quinn's number.

"Hello?" Orla was the one who picked up.

"Hi Orla, I was just talking to my Mammy and she said I'm not allowed to come tonight," Ciara complained to the other girl over the phone.

"Aw, that's too bad 'cause yknow James is gonna be there so...anyway I was talking to Erin-" Orla mentioned.

Ciara's eyes widened, "What? Why does that matter?"

"You didn't let me tell you what we were talking about..."

"No, Orla! Why does it matter if James is there or not?" Ciara's voice was getting higher as she became more defensive.

"Oh," Orla chuckled, "because you like him."

"Uh, well-" It took her a minute to think, "I have to go Orla, make sure you tell them all that I can't come and I'm sorry." She hung up the phone. How did Orla know? Was she obvious l? Was it just a great guess? Ciara decided the easiest way to clear her head was to attempt to study for the history exam.

-

The next morning, Ciara O'Hara woke up with her face on a book on her desk. She took a minute to wake up properly, when she was fully awake she realised that it was sunny outside,

"Shit!" She shouted. She looked at the time, "shit!" she shouted again.

Then began the massive scramble where Ciara attempted to get herself ready for school before she was late. She hopped about her room pulling on her socks and trying to pack her bag at the same time, resulting in her landing face-first on her bedroom floor, but she got up again.