"Hurry," Diluc says absentmindedly to the servant as he pushes through the crowded harbour. He should have heard from Y/N by now, but no news about her court procession has reached him at all. He's restless with anxiety. 

"Please take my things to the Beaufort Hotel." Diluc orders the servant, who quickly nods. "I'll be heading to Muguet Inn." Diluc then quickly makes off towards Y/N's Inn, desperate to know the verdict of the trial.

Diluc rushes down the streets of Fontaine, following the directions on his map of the city. The number of people in the streets begins to diminish as the setting sun makes the buildings cast long shadows down the roads, bathing alleyways in complete darkness.

Diluc abruptly stops in his tracks, casting a cautious glance over his shoulder. I'm being watched. He remarks as he scans his surroundings to see nothing out of the ordinary. Or maybe I'm going crazy. As soon as he decides to brush off the weird feeling, he catches a flicker of movement in a nearby alley in his peripheral vision. 

He turns to peer down the dark alley, straining his crimson eyes to make out shapes amongst the shadows. Nothing. Diluc turns to walk away when he hears a faint whisper coming from the alley. He quickly ducks behind the corner.

"What is he doing here?" Diluc can hear a male voice whisper.

"I don't know. He didn't see us did he?" A female voice responds. 

"Should we tell the boss?" The male asks.

"Are you crazy?!" She hisses back. "What if she asks us what we were doing by the docks? 'Oh, we were just going to sneak out and see Igor in Liyue!'" She adds sarcastically.

"I-I don't know. We can tell her we were on a date or something!" He stammers.

The alleyway goes dead silent for a beat.

"Percival." The woman states in a deadly tone.

"Come on. It's not that far-fetched." He- Percival- mumbles.

Percival? Diluc furrows his brow at the familiar name. He works for Y/N's sister, doesn't he? Isn't he one of the Fatui involved in that Light-Refractor fiasco?

"Percival Vontdour." She spits venomously.

"Yes, Lilia Moreau?" He quips back playfully, to which the woman lets out an annoyed groan.

Lilia Moreau? Diluc's eyes widen and his heart drops to the pit of his stomach. Either it's a popular name, or she's the lawyer working with Y/N. She's with the Fatui? A horrible dread churns Diluc's stomach. I have to find Y/N.

"Whatever." Lilia hisses. "Let's just keep an eye on the guy and tell Ida." 

"Uh, where did he go?" Percival wonders as he peers out the alley. Diluc had already long gone.

-----

Y/N dragged herself back to her hotel room empty-handed. The mailbox was empty, and she supposes it's her fault in a small part. After all, the letter she was supposed to send is sitting, blank, on the coffee table.

Gods, Diluc is supposed to be arriving for his business trip any moment now. Y/N flicks on the bathroom light to see her poor state. Bags bloom from under her eyes like bruises, her hair needs washing, and she's been in the same pyjamas for over an entire day. She'll have to check out of her hotel room before tomorrow, but she isn't prepared to return to the L/N estate at all.

She takes in a sharp breath as she undresses and fills the bathtub. Y/N, get your shit together. Diluc will be here soon and you can't look like a hot mess. It'll probably be one of the last few times you'll be with him as Y/N L/N, Investigative Captain of the Knights of Favonius. Y/N had barely thought about when the next time she would be permitted to see Diluc- or any of her friends in Mondstadt would be. The next time she meets them, she'll likely be a stranger in a purple uniform and a mask over her eyes.