FORTY FIVE

XLV

OBLIVION      . . .      𝑏𝘰𝘰𝑘 1
﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
Rafe Cameron ━━━ CALLISTA MAYBANK
He soon learnt that in this world the only person he could really count on was the girl.

ACT ONE

━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━

John B knew that he was risking a lot by sneaking into the hospital. Especially since he was the most wanted person on the island at this moment in time. Ward and Rafe had framed him for killing Peterkin.

Him and the pogues made a plan for him and Sarah to leave Outer Banks and flea to Mexico. They'd be safe there. But he couldn't leave without saying goodbye to his best friend.

He knew that Sarah would be upset with him, after all she told him not to leave the safety of the house they were staying in. But he'd risk it all for Cal. She was his family. And if it meant he got to see her one last time, he'd got to jail.

"Hey Cal-dawg." He chuckled at the nickname. He walked to the end of the bed, he gentle tapped her ankle and looked up at her with a smile. "Not feeling so good, huh?"

He tried to be light hearted but it pained him to do so. So, instead, he sat down beside her on the bed. He brought his hand up to push some of her hair out of her face.

In a strange way, she looked so peaceful. JJ had told John B about how lifeless she looked when he went to visit and how scared he was. But John B could see how the colour had come back to her cheeks and she was a little warmer to touch.

"You wouldn't believe the kinda trouble I'm in right now."

He avoided looking at the camera, which was in the top right corner. He didn't want to get caught.

"Or maybe you would. But just promise me, that whatever you hear people say about me when you eventually wake up. Don't believe it. Because it's not true." John B cleared his throat, hating the fact that he was getting choked up. "I'm still the same JB that I was when we were younger. I'm still your JB."

It physically hurt him. The idea of leaving the OBX and not knowing if she was going to wake up or not. The pogues and him had a plan that in two months they would all come to Mexico to be with him and Sarah. But now that Cal was in hospital, with no clue when she was next going to wake up, he wasn't sure if that plan would be followed through or not. He knew JJ couldn't and wouldn't leave his sister behind.

"JJ's in pieces. He fucking misses you, Callista." John B whispered. "We all do."

His heart was racing at the idea of being caught. He couldn't think straight. All he wanted to do was say goodbye to the girl incase it was the last time that she saw him.

"You might not see me for a while. But I'll still be thinking about you. I'll still miss you." John B allowed a stray tear to roll down his cheek. "I wish that you could come with us. Because it's gonna be so fucking hard without you."

John B aggressively used the sleeve of his jumper to wipe the tears on his cheeks. He hated crying. Especially in front of the girl.

"Rafe," John B paused, wondering if he should mention the fact that he killed Peterkin or not. "he needs you Cal. Now more than ever."

The boy had never liked Rafe. But after the murder of Peterkin, he could see how much Rafe needed Cal in his life. John B was able for the first time ever to see how much of a difference Cal had made to the boys life.

"Visiting times are over, come back tomorrow please." Nurse Sullivan spoke softly as she leant on the doorframe.

John B froze up, wondering if he was going to be caught. He waited patiently until he heard the nurses footsteps walk away. Then and only then did he allow himself to relax.

"So I guess this is goodbye." He whispered. "I never thought this day would come. I always thought that we'd be in one another's lives forever."

He cleared his throat, bringing her hand up to his lips and placing a gentle kiss on her knuckles.

"Whenever you wake up, if that's in a few days, a week, a month or in ten years time. Hit me up. Don't you dare be a stranger, Callista Maybank."

John B's bottom lip quivered as he slowly stood up. He didn't want to leave her, especially since he didn't know when he was next going to see her. He walked to the end of the bed and tapped her ankles one last time.

"Goodbye." He whispered, taking one last look at the girl before leaving the room.

He made his way through the hallways with his head down. Not because he was scared of being caught - no he didn't care about that anymore - but because of the tears streaming down his face.

John B never thought he would have to see anyone like that, let alone Callista. A girl who was always so full of life, now laid lifeless on a hospital bed with machines keeping her alive. It was so weird for him to see. He just couldn't wrap his head around it.

His eyes flickered up once he saw Rafe now entering the girls room. John B wondered if he had paid the nursing staff to allow him in after hours, because the more he thought about it, the more it seemed like something Rafe would do.

He hated the boy, but one thing that he knew for certain was that he loved Callista more than anything in this world.

socials
instagram ~ vxidcameron & em.newman
snapchat ~ emilynewman1234
tik tok ~ vxidbucky & leeandhan