3.9- A Flash of Sloth

Start from the beginning

(Y/N): Hm... If I told you... That Gods from another world existed... What would you say to that?

She stared at me for a few seconds before widening her eyes.

Crusch: Wait... Are you implying that-

(Y/N): Yep... But... That's who I used to be... right here, right now. I'm just (L/N) (Y/N), so pay my divine heritage no heed and continue interacting with me as normal. I'm probably nowhere near as strong as I was in my prime... Also, I just said all that without thinking, so I'd appreciate it if you kept that to yourself if it isn't too much to ask...

Crusch: I see... I don't think I've ever found myself doubting my divine protection as much as I have this past day. But I sense no lies coming from you... One couldn't call that display anything short of divinity...

(Y/N): Well, I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I won't be able to do anything like that for a loooooong time. In any case... I'm glad that you're okay.

Crusch: I am, yes. But our losses are not few... With the White Whale's defeat, those who have vanished will not return...

The losses are probably far greater than she knows... But informing her would probably just make things worse...

(Y/N): Well... I think you did great... Crusch-san... Considering you all knew nothing of the Whale and are all still alive, it's an impressive feat in and of itself. Your popularity should— Hold on...

Didn't I want to help Emilia?... Meeh, this is an alliance anyway... Small stuff doesn't matter...

Crusch: That is quite a gloomy look on your face. You don't look like the hero who brought down the White Whale.

(Y/N): Hero?... Me... Ahh... I didn't do much, I mean when it comes down to it, it was all—

Crusch: Natsuki Subaru was right, you should stop selling yourself short. Anyone who was present would tell you that you made no small contribution. Was it not you who came up with the plan to bring down the true Whale from the sky? Wilhelm may have dealt the finishing blow. But you are the hero who brought down the White Whale... I would not be so shameless as to claim your achievement as my own.

(Y/N):.... Mmm... I'm honestly speechless... I didn't expect you to say all that... So now I don't know how to respond...

I scratch the back of my head with a nervous smile.

Crusch: In truth, I would love to welcome you into my household and reward your accomplishments.

(Y/N): I don't know if you'd remember or not because with all that's happened, even I'm having a hard time keeping track of everything. But I remember being told... That I lacked an ambition... And I thought about it for a while... I thought about it so hard that it literally drove me to the brink of insanity... But I realised... That wanting to help someone... In and of itself can be an ambition... there doesn't need to be a grand reason behind it. As long as you're sure... That it's something that you want to do... Then that's fine... Of course, I also had it hammered into me that it's okay to put myself before others sometimes... And with all that said... I want to help Emilia become the ruler... Along with Subaru... And it's just something I want to do... Because it's who I am...

I gave an apologetic smile, and she sighed and returned the gesture.

Crusch: In truth. I was somewhat expecting you to say that... However, it still stings a little.

(Y/N): Well... Perhaps... Had I met you before her... Things would be different and I would have accepted your offer with no hesitation... But what's done is done... So uh... Sorry about that. but I do like you a lot as a person... You remind me of someone I met a long time ago, especially when you tie your hair into a ponytail. Even if we end up as enemies, I hope we can still get along even after the alliance...