꒱.✧ 生死 ;; god's favorite child

Start from the beginning

"Kunikida-san, I assure you that by the time we gain more members, they will be the epitome of hard work." I put on a confident look, assuring him that he and I will no longer be burdened with this paperwork in a few years. I could feel myself laughing out of blue by saying these words. I fear that in the future, my words would betray me and show a different outcome from such a hopeful outlook.

I might have jinxed the whole "epitome of hard work." Perhaps, I should not have said that confidently...

My co-worker leads me to our client. Before he left me in a room with them, Kunikida gave me a warning as he says something was not quite right. I acknowledged his insights. There weren't many people who knew my name and how I handle cases as I evade social recognition and praise from the media. Ranpo would be a better option yet-my eyes observe the timid man who was quietly sitting at our guest station-they specifically asked for my presence to aid their problem.

"Good morning. My name is Oda Sakuya. I heard that you request my name. May I hear what kind of situation they are experiencing?" I kept on my professional smile, and put my right hand on my chest, bowing lightly to express my politeness and that I am honored to have them ask my name. I then went to sit across from him.

My client's eyes-Yonekawa Kazuto, the man's name from his form of request-went wide when they saw me. It was not a romantic attraction. Rather, a combination of fear and being awestruck, as if he was seeing something that should not exist and has finally laid their eyes on it. Like a deer stuck in the middle of the highway after just seeing a rushing vehicle, it seems he finds himself quite fascinated.

"I want you to accompany me." That was very direct reasoning coming from a timid man.

"Would you please elaborate?"

"My friend got involved with a dangerous organization. They wanted to look for a professional and meet them at a specific location they sent me." Mr Yonekawa searched for something within his front pockets, he then pulled out his phone and quickly scroll for a few seconds. His eyes, from what I have noticed, raged with various emotions that I could not analyze for a long time but from what they exhibited, I was able to notice some questionable actions. My client finally stopped his short activity. He raised his phone in hand, showing me navigation that was marked. "They told me to go here quietly and as much as possible, riding with my car."

"However, why did you choose an Agency? Have you not tried the idea of the Police Department working better with this kind of case considering their experience?"

"My friend's father worked as chief here. If I were to disclose it, they will certainly wreak havoc. Is that enough for you to take the case?"

If I were being honest, this case is surely odd. Normally, people set up meetings in a crowded area. It was a form of reassurance to be surrounded by strangers when you are conversing with someone you do not trust. So how is it that the location on their phone was a secluded parking lot?

"I accept your case, Mr Yonekawa. However, allow me to discuss this first with my fellow workers. Would that be alright?" I was not asking for permission though. I wanted to see his reaction. Whether he agreed or not, I will still report this.

"Oh yes, feel free to do so!" Yonekawa surprisingly shows a positive face. Despite his innocent appearance, one should not trust their client completely.

I left the receiving area and let my feet take me toward the worker lounge. My hand twisted the doorknob and open the door wide. There, I saw Ranpo, both feet raised on his desk as his hands were busy gaming. I was hoping to see Kunikida and Yosano too, however, it seems both were not here now. When his eyes met mine, he quickly gains his composure and greeted me with a bright welcome.