Chapter 2-Bid Day

''You both are under no circumstances to speak to anyone, got it?'' Corvus muttered to us. He has said that for like a hundred times this morning. We were hurrying up the steps of town hall and Corvus was taking these steps in big strides. Morrigan and I were having trouble keeping up with him. ''You both will be sitting on the stage with me, need I remind you that that is where everybody can see you. UNderstand? Don't you dare make anything,happen. No broken hips or swarms of wasps or falling ladders, or-or.''

''Shark attacks?'' Morrigan says, trying to be helpful and give him another one. I laugh  and Corvus glares at me. "Do you think this is funny? Everyone in Town Hall will be watching to see what you do and how it will reflect on me. Are you actively trying to ruin my career?" Corvus says turning purple like Uncle Vernon from Harry Potter. ''No, not actively.'' I say to him, trying to keep him calm and put together.

Morrigan and I had been to Town Hall on other tremendous occasions just like this. For example when his popularity was at its lowest and he needed a public show of support coming from his family. Honestly I couldn't care less what his career does. I'm going to die in about a year so what does it matter? The Town Hall was the city's most important building.

But the clock tower, now that was a sight to see. I loved looking at it while Morrigan tried to not look at it. It was much more interesting than the drab building called Town Hall. Right so the Sky faced Clock was no ordinary clock, there were no hands and no lines for where the numbers are supposed to go. It was a round piece of glass with a empty sky inside of the clock that changes with the passing of the Ages- Pale pink dawn light was Morningtide, next was the golden bright colour for Basking. Then the orange sunset colour for Dwendelsun and then the second last phase is the dusky darkening blue of the Gloaming. 

Today it was in the Gloaming phase just like every other day this year. Morrigan refused to look at it because it was getting closer to its last phase, the inky star-strewn blackness of Eventide, the last day of the Age. The day of our death. But that's the reason I like looking at it. It signifies that I am getting closer to my death, my escape from this horrid world.

But my death was a year away so I shoke those thoughts out of my head and hurried up the steps to where Morrigan and Corvus were waiting. I was to busy looking at the clock. This hall is usually filled with a dull type of air, but today, it was filled with excitement, hoping to get a bid. Hundreds upon hundreds of children are packed like sardines into this hall, all wearing their sunday best. Bleh.

They all sat with straight backs upon the gaze of President Wintersea. His stupid portrait was hung in every home,shop, and government building in the Republic. So annoying and he's not even hot.

The sound of all the children laughing,mumbling and chattering came to a stop once Morrigan,Corvus and I took our seats behind the podium on the stage. Looking over the crowd I could see children narrowing their eyes in my direction, like they were just waiting for me to mess up their day.

Corvus had come up behind us and put a hand on each of our shoulders, in a gesture of parental affection. He nevers gives us this so why start now? Local reporters had taken sight of this and snapped a few billion photos of Chancellor Crow with his two cursed children. Now this was definitely front-page material. The doomed twins and their soon-to-be grieving father. As if he would grieve. He probably thinks that it's a good riddance. The tragic trio. I looked to Morrigan who was trying to look extra helpless. As if that would help. I glare straight at the cameras, hoping that they would get the message, but no they keep flashing their bright lights in my face.

The Wintersea Republic National Anthem came on and everybody had to stop to sing it. Those lights were out of my face now. After the anthem was done Corvus stepped forward and gave a long and boring speech to the crowd, saying that he hopes everybody does well. Blah,Blah,blah. He only does it because it looks good for him. After he had finished, headmasters and local businessmen came forward to give a speech just because they could. That bit went on forever.