Bonus Chapter 4 -- Trials

Start from the beginning

It was the best reason she could come up with, the one that fit with her vision of her wise and compassionate master always being ready and willing to rescue anyone in need. So when Shaak Ti appeared at her bedside, seemingly well rested and without a single scar like the ones she now had, all she did was close her eyes again.

* * *

“I have good news and bad news,” Master Che, the master of the Halls of Healing, told both Shaak Ti and her Padawan once Taska was able to stay awake. “The damage to your vertebral column is not permanent, and in fact, you barely suffered a fracture. You will regain full feeling and motion in your body after a rigorous program of rehabilitation.”

“So I’ll be grounded for a few weeks,” Taska frowned, although ready to accept the ruling.

“It may be longer than that,” the healer said, giving a gentle glare for being interrupted. “The damage to your spine may not be permanent, but the prognosis on your leg is worse. The bone has been completely crushed, and even if I were to find some way to reassemble the pieces, it would never be restored to its complete weight-bearing integrity.

“I think the best decision at this point would be to amputate it.”

I had to.

Tears welled up in her eyes, but they were almost immediately quelled by knowing that she couldn’t show attachment even to her own limb.

“If you think that’s what is best, Master,” she nodded, kepeing her eyes on the blanket between her fingers.

“I’ll schedule the procedure as soon as possible. Only the best healers will be helping you,” Master Che reassured her. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have other patients to attend to.”

“You are brave,” Shaak Ti told Taska once the healer was gone. “You accepted the facts without hesitation. I am proud, my Padawan. This has certainly been a great Trial.”

Taska knew that she should've felt excited. A trial, complete! Knighthood cannot be far off. But she couldn't find it in herself to feel much more than empty.

She hoped the pride would come with time.

* * *

22 BBY

Ace looked over and noticed his General, for the second time that day, shifting uncomfortably on her feet, glaring at the ground. “Is everything alright, General?”

“Hm? Oh, yes, I’m fine, it’s just that, uh, I’ve lost a bit of weight recently, and now my foot isn’t fitting like it should, but I keep forgetting to readjust it,” she said casually, moving to sit on a nearby bench.

“Do you, uh, mean your… boot, sir?” Ace asked, confused.

“No, my foot, see?” She slid off her left boot and rolled up her pant leg to reveal her prosthetic leg attached at the base of her thigh, gleaming in the ambient light.

“Oh, I see,” he said, his eyes wide. “I didn’t, uh, know that--what?” He responded to a faint call from someone across the camp, though she was fairly sure the clone had called for a captain and not a commander. “Coming!”

Taska stifled her laugh until he was a respectable distance away. She glanced over her shoulder at A’den, who had come up behind her and also seemed to be quite amused. “You know, of all the things that I thought would put steel-stomach Ace off, it wasn’t that,” she laughed, tuning the upper brace.

* * *

“Did you, uh, did you know that the General was missing her leg?” Ace asked A’den as he slipped into the medbay later that night.

“Of course, I have access to all her previous medical records, since I’m essentially her primary care physician, and I conduct periodic physicals--”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Ace asked plainly, clearly frustrated with his earlier reaction.

A’den laughed and shrugged. “I don’t know, it just never came up. You never asked, either.”

“Oh, yeah, I just go around asking everyone and their medics if they’re missing a limb,” Ace rolled his eyes. “It just would’ve been nice if I had known! I feel like I made such a fool of myself,” He buried his face in his hands. “I hope she didn’t think I was being mean.”

“She laughed about it, Ace,” A’den reassured him, still smiling. “Didn’t bother her one bit.”

---

A/N: Woo boy can I just say I love being critical of the Jedi Order? Like no offense but I feel like a lot of their traditions and rules, especially the Knight Trials, are way out of line with what they’re supposed to stand for? Also absolutely no shade on Shaak Ti, we love her in this household, but what’s not really presented outright in this chapter is that the council most likely gave her instructions to place her Padawan in a situation of extreme danger so that she could pass one of her great trials. This ends up covering the trials of Courage, Flesh, and Skill.