04. conceal the eternal void

Start from the beginning

They finally made it to the junkyard. There was an abandoned bus, which would be a good hiding spot in case Dart tried to attack. Surrounding the bus, were multiple different colored vehicles, and chunks of metal. They all took a second to inspect the destination. "Oh, yeah. Yeah, this'll do." Steve nodded, taking steps forward. "This'll do just fine. Good call, dude!" Steve shouted to Dustin. Dustin now had a wide grin on his face. He was proud of himself for picking a place that pleased Steve Harrington.

They finished spreading out the meat, before dumping the leftovers in one specific spot. "I said medium-well!" An unfamiliar voice shouted. "Who the hell was that?" Valerie asked, looking around in attempt to find who was shouting. Valerie turned to find Lucas and Max smiling and waving at them. "Who's that?" Steve asked, throwing a glance towards Dustin. "That's the mystery girl." Valerie whispered to Steve, keeping her eyes on the two walking near them. Dustin looked unsettle while staring at the two. He began to walk towards them, pulling Lucas away from Max and crouching near one of the cars. Valerie didn't care enough to listen to the conversation they were having.. but Selina did.

"Seems like someone isn't too happy that he let an extra in on this secret." Selina spoke, keeping an eye on the two. "Did you have to eavesdrop on them?" Valerie sighed. "Whatever. I have nothing better to do!" Selina shrugged. "Actually, you both have something better to do." Steve added, tossing both of them gloves he found laying around. They both backed away from the gloves, looks of disgust displayed on their faces. "Oh, hell no. I am not putting those on." Selina shook her head, kicking the gloves away. "Why not?" Steve sighed. "We aren't trying to get hepatitis." Valerie replied, defending herself and Selina. "Fine. Then y'all can help barehanded." Steve turned away from them, making his way towards Dustin and Lucas. He picked up a chair, hitting the car they were behind. "Hey! Dickheads! How come the only one to help me out is this random girl? We lose light in 40 minutes, let's go!" He nudged his head towards the bus before walking away. "Let's go, I said!" Steve shouted. "Alright, asshole! God!" Dustin yelled back. "Okay, stupid." Lucas shook his head at Steve.

They all got to work, spreading out into different locations of the junkyard. Steve was pouring gasoline, following the tracks of the meat. Meanwhile, Max placed a ladder inside of the bus, in case they needed an escape plan. Valerie and Selina pretended that they were busy following orders, when there was hardly any orders to follow. Everything that needed to be taken care of in the junkyard, was being taken care of. So, why bother?!

The sun began to set, leaving the six with little to no light. They all sat in the bus, waiting for Dart to appear. Valerie and Steve grew exhausted, considering they were running on no hours of sleep. On the other hand, Dustin had gotten a whole night's worth of sleep, and Selina had gotten about three hours. Valerie was playing with a lighter, quickly putting her hand in and out of the flame. It had kept her entertained, until Steve snatched it from her. "Hey! What the hell?" Valerie spoke, trying to grab the lighter back. "You're gonna waste all the butane that's in there." Steve replied, putting the lighter in his pocket. "Yeah, well, all that butane was actually keeping me busy." Valerie rolled her eyes, turning her head away from Steve. Valerie was drowning in boredom and exhaustion. That was until she remembered, she had two full bottles of Malibu waiting for her. Valerie got up from her seat, opening the bus doors. "Hey, hey, hey! Where are you going?" Steve asked. "I didn't buy those two bottles of Malibu for nothing." Valerie replied, happily skipping out the bus. "I'll come with you." Selina shouted, making her way out of the bus. Steve sighed at the sight of them walking so carelessly towards his car.

They returned with the two bottles, each of them carrying one. Valerie opened the first bottle, cutting the seal open. She lifted the bottle to her mouth, downing a good amount before Steve snatched it from her. "My turn." He spoke, chugging a good amount from the bottle. He handed the bottle back to Valerie, wiping the drop that fell on his chin. His hair slightly moving to the right because of the way he wiped his chin. Selina, on the other hand, could not chug any sort of alcohol without throwing up. Let's just say.. alcohol did not sit well with Selina. She stared at them in awe. "This is so unfair. How come y'all can chug a whole bottle and not feel anything!" Selina sighed, taking a small sip from the bottle. Max sat up from her seat, not paying attention to anyone or anything. "Wait. So y'all have really fought one of these things before?" She spoke up, looking between Selina, Valerie, and Steve. They all nodded at her, except for Valerie, who actually spoke up. "Yup. It's not a pleasure." Valerie sighed. "And y'all are like.. totally, one-hundred percent sure it wasn't a bear?" Max questioned. Valerie was about to speak up, but Dustin beat her to it. "Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay? It wasn't a bear." All eyes were on him, surprised at his tone. "Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home." Dustin scoffed, walking away from Max. "Geesh. Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" Max replied, climbing up the ladder. They all watched as she made her way on top of the bus. "That's good. Just show her you don't care." Steve nodded, proud at the boy. "I don't." He replied, no emotion in his voice whatsoever. Valerie, Steve, and Selina all shared a look, trying to conceal the smirks on their faces. Steve winked at Dustin, not saying anything else. "Why are you winking, Steve? Stop." Dustin demanded. They all just looked away, Steve's smirk still slightly apparent.