ᵀʰᵉ ˢᵗᵃᴿ

Start from the beginning

--

          For a while after their heartfelt conversation, Link and (Y/N) held one another mostly in silence, while the brunet occasionally whispered gentle affirmations and comforts only the other could hear. Eventually, the muscle cramps outweighed the desire to be glued together for a little longer and they sat back in their original positions, if not a little closer.

          "I think.. it might be done," announced (Y/N) with a short sniffle, reaching behind them to retrieve their sword. Their gaze regarded their work warmly, and Link followed suit with a similarly enthusiastic grin.

          "Y'know, I'm really surprised you never picked up sharpening swords when you were training with Eagus. You barely needed any help, and it was your first try," he chuckled playfully, watching their movements as they stowed it in the sheath once more, leaving both to lean against each other and the stone column behind them.

          Just as they had nestled into Link's shoulder and closed their eyes, the door to Faron Woods noisily scraped open, revealing just the redhead (Y/N) had hoped to see. They scrambled from their spot, backside sore from sitting on the hard ground for so long, and made a running jump at a half-surprised Groose. Just before he was pounced on, he had turned and saw them coming, giving him just enough time to catch them in his burly arms. Link followed them over, albeit much slower, his arms pulled behind his head casually. His lips parted with an audible snicker of amusement as he watched (Y/N) somehow cling themself to the sizeable man without being able to wrap their arms fully around him.

           "Hey, (N/N)," greeted Groose, followed by a yawn. The redhead looked exhausted and, upon closer inspection, he was minorly injured as well. Despite it being just a few scrapes and bruises, (Y/N) still scrutinized them like unwelcome visitors. "Hey, ease that angry little look, I'm fine. I finally caught up to Ghirahim and I helped him put a few more of those red assholes in line before he told me he'd take care of the rest. Now it's almost time for Groose to hit the sack." Infected with the contagious phenomenon, (Y/N) abruptly broke into a yawn as well, considerably more tired now that they'd eaten, worked on their sword, and cried.

          "I was worried about you, you big doofus! I thought you'd be back sooner!" they pouted, blowing a raspberry at him, which he reciprocated. "Speaking of bed, did either of you have any extra blankets? It got pretty cold last night, and I had a pretty thick quilt from Grannie."

          When Groose and Link's expressions morphed into grimaces, (Y/N) knew what their answer was. "Well, next trip to the sky means grabbing some comfy bedding, 'cause I know we'll be staying here for a while." With it not being a big deal to them, they shrugged it off and ran to grab the quilt Grannie had lent them, making sure not to disturb the old woman as she set up her own place to sleep for the night. Link and Groose laid out the thick camping blankets they'd bought from Beedle, both laying several feet apart from the other. (Y/N) set their quilt in between the two, hoping to be able to share their body heat, and rolled themself tightly inside.

          Unfortunately, sleep did not come easy nor fast for (Y/N), in spite of their current exhaustion. Both Link and Groose were snoring peacefully on either side of them, just a little too far for them to feel any of their warmth. The frigid air outside kept the temple, especially the floors, absolutely freezing, leaving (Y/N) nearly chattering their teeth within their quilt bundle.

          Part of them wanted to wake either Groose or Link and ask to sleep alongside them so they could have some rest, but the other half willed them to cope rather than bother the others. At the thought of asking either, they immediately felt the rustling of embarrassment within their gut. Finally, they came to the decision that it'd just be best to tighten the quilt cocoon around themselves and take what they could get.