Chapter 59: Memories of the wind

Sanemi's blade clashed with Michikatsu's blade, both of them putting their strength behind it to try and overpower the other.
"Moon breathing, fifth form, Moon spirit calamitous eddy" Michikatsu said and without moving, three large attacks unleashed shaped like crescent moons and crescent moons on them as well. Sanemi was knocked backwards but he was able to block the attacks so that he didn't suffer any damage.
"Haha, you slash without swinging!" Sanemi laughed before heading back towards Michikatsu.
"Wind breathing, third form, clear storm wind tree" Sanemi said as he countered Michikatsu's attack.
"Well done, your physical techniques are at their peak as well" Michikatsu complimented.
'My skin is crawling, this guy's techniques...He makes an irregular and complex array of blades spring out from a single slashing attack. Their length and size always change, so they don't have fixed forms. No wonder he defeated Tokito. The shape of the attacks I thought I dodged aren't the same, they're distorted! I couldn't survive if my senses hadn't been honed from long experience, and his speed!' Sanemi thought as they clashed, Sanemi dodging Michikatsu's attacks when he realised something.
'He's using breathing as well! A demon with abnormally high regenerative ability and physical strength is using breathing....to further increase his speed and striking power!' Sanemi realised.
"Interesting! You're a demon worth killing!" Sanemi announced with a smirk.
"Wind breathing, second form, claws-purifying wind" Sanemi said as he slashed his sword and four claws of wind went towards Michikatsu. Michikatsu blocked the attack with his sword though the blades of wind cut into the sword so he swung his sword to get rid of the wind attacks and unleash his own attack again. Sanemi didn't wait for the attack to get to him as he jumped into the air, heading towards Michikatsu with his sword raised. Both swords once again clashed against each other and Sanemi had to dodge two crescent moon attacks that were heading for her face. Michikatsu also had to quickly dodge as he noticed a sword coming at him from under his chin making him dodge backwards, Sanemi had a shorter sword clenched between his toes.
'My sword' Genya realised as the two of them broke away from each other. Neither of them let up though as they continued to attack each other, each attack matched and cancelling out the others attack.
'Ahh, still he keeps up with my techniques. This feeling is so nostalgic and makes me want to try harder' Michikatsu thought. Sanemi continued to attack and his nose started to bleed making him grip his teeth but didn't let it stop him.
"Shinazugawa!" Muichiro yelled out.
"Sanemi! Sanemi!' Genya thought, horrified.
'I can't blink! One mistake in the angle of the tip of my sword and I'm dead' Sanemi thought as he continued to fight against the attacks sent at him.
"Long ago when the whole country was at war....Like this....I...Yes....Against the Wind Hashira as well....I improved my sword technique" Michikatsu said.
"Moon breathing, sixth form, perpetual night, lonely moon-incessant" Michikatsu said. Even with his sword raised Sanemi couldn't stop the attack as it pushed him backwards and cut open his legs, chest and even destroyed the pillars and partitions of the room around them.
'Sanemi! Sanemi! What happened? What's happening? Where are they? Argh! I can't see because of the pillars and lattice partitions,' Genya thought frantically. Sanemi stood there with blood dripping onto the floor from the wounds on his chest, legs, even a cut on his left cheek and blood was coming from his mouth as well as he huffed out breaths.
"Hmm. You persisted for quite some time but this is the end. If you move, your entrails will spill out" Michikatsu said before he froze in his place.
'My pulse is quickening, what's happening?' Michikatsu thought, trying to figure out what was happening.
"Heh, heh, heh heh, heh heh heh!" Sanemi laughed.
"Catnip for cats and Marechi for demons" Sanemi smirked before slashing at Michikatsu who raised his blade. Even after raising his blade he stumbled back and his footing was uneven.
"Hey, hey! What's wrong? You look a little shaky! Looks like this blood works on upper ranks too! The smell of my blood intoxicates demons! Even for a Marechi it's rare blood, the only one that could match me is Hikaru! Taste it in full!" Sanemi announced with sadistic glee.