Marriage.

It had been a long shot, considering Finnick's role in the Capitol and the total lack of safety for both parties involved. But the most outlandish thing was when we were down on one knee on top of the cliffside we had been on so many times, I didn't care about the risks, or what would come after. At that moment, I hadn't wanted anything except him.

And with every day that passed, I felt no regret for saying yes.

The front door slammed shut and Finnick and I shot up in utter shock at the noise, in hurtled the group of victors from District Four, each of them looking as in distress as the next.

We were in the bring of the Quarter Quell, the announcement would be made tonight of its conditions, but it was not that kind of fear in their eyes. This was a different kind, the kind that made people wish they could pull memories from their temples and obliterate them from existence. It was the kind of fear that locked children away and had even the strongest of people bowing their heads in submission.

"Phoenix, Astrid, go upstairs, please," Reign said calmly to his children, who both groaned, but obliged at the stern look their mother gave them following. They scrambled upstairs to their rooms as the rest of the victors piled onto the lounges, heads bowed with anxiety.

"What did you see?" Annie asked Ophelia, sitting on the floor in front of the older woman and putting her hand over the top of Ophelia's to comfort her. Annie and Blaze had been a great addition to the group that resided in the village, though Annie had her struggles, she was a sweet woman who took care of everyone as best she could. Luckily, her husband Blaze was by her side to remind her to take care of herself.

"The pier," Ophelia stared, her voice cracking with anxiety, "They had a lineup, arms bound, weight tied to their ankles," Annie's hand retracted in realisation, a short gasp escaping her throat and her hand reaching up to cover her mouth. Mags leaned out and touched the younger girl on the shoulder supportively.

"Executions," Finnick realised, sliding his hand into mine and running his finger over the pearl engagement ring he had gifted me with, "First the curfew, then the beatings and now- this?"

"They're instilling fear- followed by anger," I stated, Heavensbee's idea, no doubt- prick. "Everyone wants Everdeen to play the hero, but all their seeing of her is the lovestruck ditz the Capitol wants her to be,"

Katniss Everdeen was no ditz- all the victors knew that well.

What kind of ditz would have the guts to pull a handful of poison berries out in the dying moments of the Games? Who is brave enough to defy the Capitol and the President himself in such a public manner? Katniss Everdeen, recently engaged to the love of her life would be a force to be reckoned with.

A Peeta Mellark was the mastermind behind the whole story.

"They're executing all the market vendors- anyone who fishes outside of Capitol jurisdiction is going down, Reign tried to stop it, but all we got was a gun to the head," Ophelia said, leaning her head tiredly on her husband's shoulder.

"The broadcast is about to begin," Mags signed, the group of us stood up, Reign called the two children down the stairs, and we began to walk into the square together. Finnick and I were to be the mentors again this year, we were the most popular of the District Four victors, and people would be more likely to sponsor our tributes with our faces at the forefront of the campaign. This meant more appointments, more nights trying to forget- it was our personal hell.

There were only a few cameras zipping around the square, most of them were focused on Annie and Blaze, who were currently under speculation about a secret pregnancy. A total lie, fabricated perhaps to scare Annie into complying. The President had requested it several times, but shockingly, he had respected Annie's wishes when she screamed obscenities at him and marched away in distress.