Chapter 8

Dr. Richardson ran as fast as he could through the woods and along roads, between buildings and through neighborhoods. Of the creatures that pursued him there was no sign, but he knew better than to take comfort in the lack of howls. Their master would have them run in the dark space between the planes of existence, tracking his movements in this world until they were close enough to strike. He was smart enough not to expose the creatures to humans... yet.

It had been far too long since he had used any of his abilities, and even with his kind skills can fade with nonuse, trying to avoid tripping over rocks or slamming into buildings at this speed was wearing him down. What a fool he had been! He had convinced himself that living as a human and avoiding his true form would be enough to keep him hidden, out of sight and out of mind so to speak. Now his past had not only found him, but was sending monsters at him with deadly determination. If he didn't get away and disappear once more the consequences would be terrible.

Over the last century he felt the changes, one by one his fellow chiefs had fallen, somehow taken into darkness and beyond his mind's eye. He used to be able to sense them no matter how far away they were, but somehow they had vanished from existence, something he didn't think was possible and often wondered about. But now he knew. They had been taken, and the one responsible had found him out.

Taking a chance he snapped his head around as he ran, looking for any sign of heat waves in the air or the sudden appearance of frost that would mark their entrance into this world. When they were close enough they would appear out of the air like monsters jumping through an invisible wall. No obvious signs of their approach caught his eye, and he allowed himself to feel a sense of relief. He was getting away! Surely by now they would have caught up with him, perhaps he was faster than he remembered. Slowly, he allowed feelings of familiar arrogance to seep back into his mind, and without realizing it he slowed his pace, confident in his escape.

Suddenly the air near him burst into a ball of molten flame as one of the hounds lunged at him, its glowing jaws snapping shut inches from his arm. Dr. Richardson screamed, his fear re-electrifying his efforts as he pushed himself back into his frantic pace. It was too late, the air close behind ignited in a scorching hot blaze of flame as another hound lunged at his legs, its teeth grazing his calf enough to leave ugly black and red gashes across his flesh like a brand.

Screaming in fear and pain he caught his foot on a rock and fell, rolling to the ground uncontrollably down a steep embankment and landing heavily onto a small manmade beach. Unable to stop his own momentum Dr. Richardson rolled across the narrow strip of sand and into the cold water of a small mountain lake. Mud and cold water filled his mouth and choked him, distracting him from the hounds who came to a skidding stop at the edge of the water, snarls and howls of rage filled the air as they watched the doctor struggle to find his bearings in the water.

Finally he came to a stop, standing knee deep in the cold water just in time to see the third hound emerge in a burst of flame and smoke at the water's edge, snarling in rage. The three hounds paced back and forth along the water's edge, snapping at each other in their frustration while glaring at the doctor. Wiping sand from his eyes, Dr. Richardson stood and faced his three pursuers as one of the hounds stuck its paw in the water. Instantly the water started to boil and steam, the hound jumped away from the water, snapping at its extinguished paw with rage. A moment later the fire on its leg spread across the exposed rotting flesh of the paw the water had extinguished, covering the creature completely once again.

"Ha!" Dr. Richardson yelled with elation. He kicked water in the hounds' direction laughing, they couldn't get to him without putting their demonic fire out. It was so simple! He cursed himself for not thinking of it sooner, now all he had to do was figure out a way to make his escape. "Come on in if you want me!" he yelled mockingly at the hounds. They paced back and forth along the shore line growling, thick black smoke covered both the sand and water as it slowly spread from the tightly clustered group.