There wasn't a trace of pity or condescension in her voice. But it didn't prevent Matthew from feeling bristled by her comment.

"I want something like that one day," Rose said quietly. If he hadn't been paying attention, he might've missed it.

"A woman like you deserves more than a husband who must be lectured like a child."

"Don't demean your stepfather. All you men are like children. I'm sure you have some beastly habit worse than Lord Thomas'," Rose chided.

The only beastly habit Matthew could think of was his newfound affection for his wife. "I have no such habits."

"You're a liar."

"I'm am not a liar. The only reason you think that is because you have some beastly habits of your own?"

Rose's eyes connected with his. "Such as?"

Matthew looked at her dark brown orbs, obscured by annoying film. He wanted to rip it off. "Touching people inappropriately. Even when they ask you stop."

Rose didn't answer for a moment. Matthew looked nervously down at her. His reply had been dangerous one, he almost wanted to take it back. "You didn't want me to stop," Rose said slowly. "You loved every second of it."

Heat zapped through Matthew like lightning. The ghost of her kisses singed against his skin. "I asked you to stop," he repeated. His voice had fallen to gravelly depth. "It was inappropriate."

"Maybe, she shrugged, but it's not a habit. I've only ever done it to you."

"What are the two of you whispering about?" Mary asked. Matthew and Rose turned to the direction of their hosts. Mary and Archie were now the ones looking at them. His mother was wearing a knowing grin he knew too well. She arched her eyebrows. "Well?"

"The two of you," Matthew answered silkily. "Arguing in front of your guests is rude."

Mary didn't even look annoyed. "It looked a little more heated than a conversation about the two of us."

"Well it wasn't."

"Hmm." A housemaid entered the dining room and set more and tea and cakes on the table. "Thank you Anne," Mary said. She plucked a powdered treat from the tray and took a bite before immediately wincing. "Anne."

The housemaid looked nervously at her mistress. "Yes?"

"Who made this?"

She bent her head to avoid Mary's gaze. "I did, ma'am. Is it not to your liking?"

"No, it tastes terrible." Mary's eyes narrowed. "And we both know you weren't the one who created this disaster, you only serve the food. Who are you trying to protect?"

"I assure you ma'am—" the housemaid started.

"Don't make me cut your wages," Mary threatened.

The housemaid reddened. "It was Jade, ma'am."

"Well that's that," Lord Thomas cut in. "That's the third time she made a mistake with the food this week. We can't have her anymore."

"No!" Anne exclaimed. She braved a pleading look at her employers. "Jade is one of the best cooks in there! She's just...a little distracted lately."

"With what?" Mary asked patiently.

"She was supposed to get married this week. Only...there was an argument with her parents about the groom. They refuse to pay the dowry because of it. The poor girl is beside herself."

"She should listen to her parents. Young girls always fall in love with vagabonds at that age," Mary remarked.

"The groom in question is a houseboy, ma'am. Tommy Lanks."