⠀⠀⠀ Asir has already delayed reattaching her arm. Or has he been delayed? Has something - someone? - else demanded his attention? He's not the top authority, by any means, so it it's possible that he received different ord-

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi's train of thought is interrupted by a string of glowing characters. Nonsense flashes across her retinal screen, and resolves a moment later.

<>

logarithm installed successfully.

former persona restored.

> 'former persona'

> you sound like a robot

technica-

> don't you crikking dare

> this is not the time

didn't ask.

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi blinks, because this is more like the original Cyi 2.0.

> huh

> you weren't kidding about 'successful'

> that's more like it

⠀⠀⠀ A tentative smile tugs at her lips. At least she's got this going for her. Then she scoffs, because it's ridiculous.

⠀⠀⠀ My one advantage in life is that the voice in my head is sassy again?

⠀⠀⠀ "Pathetic," she mutters aloud. She glances at the time again.

⠀⠀⠀ 14.32

⠀⠀⠀ Two minutes late. More technically, if she's supposed to be there at 14.30.

⠀⠀⠀ Late doesn't happen. Ever. Cyi fiddles with the hem of her jacket, and waits.

⠀⠀⠀ SHE'S DECIDING WHETHER or not she needs to be worried when she hears footsteps again. This time, they stop outside her cell, and a second later, the door clicks open. Two guards, with little armor, blasters out.

⠀⠀⠀ Normal.

⠀⠀⠀ She gets up stiffly, and one of them grabs her arm. He hauls her into the hallway, and Cyi huffs.

⠀⠀⠀ This is also normal.

⠀⠀⠀ She stumbles, unbalanced without her other arm, and jerks herself from the soldier's grip. "Relax, chum," she mutters. "I'm unarmed."

⠀⠀⠀ She snorts. "So to speak."

⠀⠀⠀ The guards flank her on either side, fingers on triggers, waiting for Cyi to make a move. Daring me, she thinks bitterly.

⠀⠀⠀ It's tempting.

⠀⠀⠀ As she's marched - escorted, whoops - to the lab, Cyi tries to place what's wrong. Nothing, at least on the surface. There are voices coming from some other room, loud voices. But the old man is always bartering, which explains the voices, and he's crikking annoying on top of it, which explains the noise factor.

⠀⠀⠀ Even once she turns a corner and sees the lab, she can't tell what's out of the ordinary. Then the doors slide open.

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi stops in her tracks.

⠀⠀⠀ "Hurry up," the guard on her left snaps. She shakes her head, eyes on the lab.

⠀⠀⠀ "Wha-"

⠀⠀⠀ "You think we have all day? Move it!"

⠀⠀⠀ The guard gives her a shove, and she stumbles into the lab. Asir glasses up at her from his place over a table.

⠀⠀⠀ "Hello, Cyi. Are you alright?"

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi is absolutely not alright.

⠀⠀⠀ She studies herself against the metal doorframe. There's a sick feeling in her stomach, because what she's seeing is wrong. She knows it, and she knows Asir knows it.

⠀⠀⠀ For a second, she cannot form words. Then the dam breaks, and she raises her eyes to Asir's, hoping every unspoken accusation burns his apparently nonexistent conscience.

⠀⠀⠀ "What the crik?" she whispers.

.・ ̣ ✵ ・ *.

bucky barnes' spirit 
was with me when i wrote that joke.

i fully intend on putting 
that somewhere in
harpocrates when I republish