I Could Ruin You

Magsimula sa umpisa

"But Lady Danbury I-"

"Yes, yes. I know you are her chaperone, but how are you ever to find this love you speak so fondly of if you are attached to your sisters hip all night?" She sent the man a short smile. She had obviously formed a plan in her mind. "I shall chaperone Miss Sinclair whilst you are gone. It is no problem, my dear."

"I think that is a great idea Lady Danbury!" Beatrice smirked, knowing how much her brother hated the idea of dancing with ladies he had no interest in.

"Very well then Lady Danbury, I shall see you later." Percival then turned to walk away, sighing as a group of girls flocked towards him. This would be a long night indeed.

Looking back at Beatrice, Lady Danbury grinned. "Now it is time to find you a dance partner, is it not?"

"Oh no Lady Danbury that is not what I agreed to." Beatrice declined lightheartedly. She knew she had no choice though, knowing how stubborn the woman in front of her was.

"Nonsense my dear. Now come, I have the most perfect idea."

The woman made her way towards the Bridgerton's, pulling Beatrice along with her. Once the Bridgerton's caught sight of Lady Danbury, they attempted to disperse. Although, they were not fast enough as Lady Danbury addressed them. "Too late. I have already noted you." Realising they were stuck, they smiled at the woman, exchanging pleasantries with her in the hopes of deterring her away sooner.

Finally looking up at Lady Danbury, Anthony realised that there was another person with her. In fact, it was the same one which caused him such torment at the presentations earlier that day. It seemed the woman had caught his attention for a moment too long as when he turned his gaze away, he caught Lady Danbury looking right at him with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Instead of questioning the man, she turned her attention to the youngest Bridgerton present. "Miss Bridgerton, you look rather lovely this evening. Is there any reason I have yet to see you on the dance floor?"

Realising that Lady Danbury had obviously concocted a scheme of some sort, Anthony interjected. "All in due time, Lady Danbury. We have only just arrived."

Leaning towards Daphne, she whispered something too low for Anthony to hear. "You poor thing."

She then turned her attention to Beatrice, who had been uncomfortably stood in front of the group, waiting to be introduced. "Ah yes this is Miss Beatrice Sinclair". Lady Danbury introduced the woman to each family member one by one. Finally, she addressed the last person in front of the two. "And this is Lord Bridgerton."

Anthony greeted the woman, placing a delicate kiss on her hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you Miss Sinclair."

"The pleasure is all mine Lord Bridgerton." She replied, trying to remember the lessons she had been taught in social etiquette.

"Now Lord Bridgerton, Miss Sinclair here is yet to have her first dance. Would you do her the honour?" Lady Danbury interjected. Truthfully, she had the intention of asking Benedict Bridgerton to dance with the girl, but seeing the way Anthony looked at her inspired a change of strategy.

"Of course, Lady Danbury. Would you do me the honour of dancing with me, Miss Sinclair?" Anthony begrudgingly questioned, a look of disinterest now present on his features. He should have known, Lady Danbury and this woman sought him out for this exact reason. The rake had no intention to marry anytime soon, and he certainly did not want to marry a woman who schemed to win his favour.

"Certainly, Lord Bridgerton." Beatrice replied, taking the hand that Anthony had held out for her. She hoped the man Lady Danbury had chosen her to dance with wasn't too intolerable. Despite her trusting the woman, she did wonder if her judgement was sound.