CHAPTER 20

The following morning at work, Mathenji is fuming. That’s not her usual mood. When I find out what’s bothering her, I just laugh. I never did a single thing to Monica, yet she has thought it’s best to humiliate me. Wow. I am not even going to entertain her because she is not worth my time or energy. I just hope her stunt won’t affect my work. I decide there and then to delete twitter and mute notifications from my emails pertaining twitter.

Just as I am heading to aisle one, I hear noises and curses. It sounds like some people are fighting. I make sure to lean my working material on the wall before rushing to the chaos. I find two women on each other’s throats, shouting on top of their voices. This has never happened before. I can’t even observe because I will be asked why I didn’t stop the fight.

“You are crazy if you think I am going to leave that man. He is mine as much as he is yours. He is our man. How can you even fight me while you don’t have the ring?” the woman wearing the weave shouts.

“I am his number one side chick, his only side chick and it stays that way.” The woman with braids states. “He loves me and I love him. You are just using him for his money.”

“Honey, he is also using you for pussy. If he really loves you he would’ve married you by now. Polygamy is still a thing.” The weave lady replies, pulling the other woman’s braids. This is getting intense.

I quickly get between them and separate them. “Ladies, please. I understand your frustrations but can you please take this outside? You are scaring the customers, especially the kids.”

“She started it.” The weave lady states, pouting.

“You are after my man and I am keen on stopping you. You are just using him to maintain your soft life. I actually care about his well-being. Just last month he was at the hospital and you never even once visited him. I stayed by his side the whole time he was admitted because his wife was out of town. I will repeat once again, you are using him and I hope he does see you for who you truly are.” The braids lady responds, wiping her tears. This is a juicy scoop but it would’ve been much more interesting if I wasn’t in between these women trying so hard to stop them from tearing each other’s scalps.

“Thank you, Chizoba.” A security states, coming towards me. “Let’s go ladies.” He grabs both the ladies arms and escort them outside.

“What happened?” Mathenji asks rushing towards me with Fikile behind her.

“Those two ladies were fighting and I broke it up. They are, apparently side chicks of one man.” I respond, taking my work equipment and preparing to mop the aisle.

“I knew that I know them from somewhere. They are both Mayor Mthimkhulu’s side chicks. The one with braids has two kids with him and they have been dating for a while now. I heard the wife kind of knows about her.” Fikile whispers loudly. I chuckle. I usually don’t entertain gossip but this one seems juicy.

“What’s so special about this mayor?” I ask, standing straight. It’s clear I am not going to do any work with these ladies still here.

“He is so hot, chomie. He is 38 years. He is a whole snack. Let me show you his pictures.” Mathenji says already taking out her phone. I laugh. She shows me a picture of a very handsome bald man with a nice trimmed beard and a well-kept body. A politician who is friends with the gym? That’s a world wonder.