Chapter 1 - "I Read About Your Kind."

Start from the beginning

The man blocked it with the sword in his hands. "You, I read about your kind. I hold great admiration for you Witchers. Now if you please, I advise you to leave." She voiced up to the man not wishing to quarrel with the powerful man.

"You yourself are a mage,-"

"No! I am not! A mage relies on intelligence to use their magic, a sorcerer is a magic-user who relies on willpower, experience, and instinct. Tied to emotion. There is a difference. There is usually something in it for the mages." She spoke bitterly not lowering her hand being the only thing keeping him at any sort of distance.

"Oh, your humble self."

Y/n raised an eyebrow in confusion, "What do you mean Witcher?"

"You say all this but insinuate that you are unbiased and go by your instincts yet work for the queen, you may not work for coin but you work not for yourself but a political figure who gives you orders. You listen to her and take her word as gold. And you claim to be a sorcerer." He turned to walk away and find 'Roach' his steed only to be slammed into a tree pushed by the woman's magic. he got up and turned glaring at her not wanting to hurt her but just to show her who had the upper hand only to be hit back with more blasts of magic.

"Don't you dare say that about me, I'm in this for the security. I couldn't care less if the queen were to die, I have a place in her kingdom, and the ranks, therefore I have authority over you and others. So don't you dare challenge me." She grumbled putting down her hand whilst correcting her posture.

He caught his breath from the two pushback attacks and looked down at the woman. What he saw was a possibly insane and powerful woman which wasn't rare but he could practically feel the magic radiating off the woman, no wonder the beast didn't challenge her. He presumed that he got lucky that the woman showed mercy with her voice of spells although he would have no problem taking her on if need be.

"Geralt of Riva, is it?" Before he could even consider replying screams came from the village. The two looked in the direction of the distressed screams and Y/n took off once again.

As she was running through the trees Geralt now on a horse was trotting beside her, "Get on the horse."

Without hesitation, she jumped up on the horse using magic, then grabbed onto Geralt in order to not fall off. Roach began galloping in and out from between the trees making it into the village stopping and making the pair jump off now in the village square where a body lay similarly to the butcher. Eyes have gone and a slashed up stomach.

"This is what happens when you let the beast go." Geralt huffed taking out his sword."You aren't going to catch it like that, I'm almost certain it disguises itself as human. What are you doing out this way anyway?"

"I'm on a job here for coin."

"Of course you are. EVERYONE!" She bellowed grabbing the people's attention from the body on the floor and pulling people from their houses, "Uh, Hello, please stay in groups of three, the beast will be less likely to attack and if it does one of you can run to get help."

Geralt looked at her from the side of his eye with a grin of fascination beginning to grow on his face, her giving people rationality instead of hope and shocking everyone who stood by to listen was truly amusing to him to an extent. He returned his sword to his back.

"I'll be out here all night and day so if you need help I'll be staying here in the centre." This was the simplest way for her to complete her mission. She looked over to the Witcher who now had his arms crossed now looking at her. "And you, Geralt, if you dare speak a word of this to anyone I will rip your tongue from your head, understand?"

"Anger issues?"

She shot a feral look before gaining control of her emotions, "No, a simple threat. The only way to make men listen to women is once consequences are ensured. A man can do things that most women can't, and if a woman wants respect from others you have to fight for it."

"Inducing fear is not gaining respect. Fight for yourself and do what you can but respect others and they'll respect you." Geralt spoke in a monotone voice no different from every other time he had spoken.

"And how has that worked out for you so far?" she huffed squaring up to him knowing the disrespect which he gets purely for being a witcher even after taking care of and protecting people from many of these sorts of beasts.

He said nothing and turned to walk away, "I'll see you around Witcher."

Hours passed and Y/n was sitting in the square still waiting for someone to pop their head out or the beast to reveal itself but nothing, it was pitch black and the clouds had covered the skies leaving no stars to look at. She knew she could have changed it if she had wanted to but she wanted to preserve her energy. Heavy footsteps approached and she shot up to her feet ignoring her drowsiness.

"I come in peace." The deep thick unmistakable voice of the Witcher Geralt spoke. "Did you get your coin Witcher?"

Y/n asked sitting back down leaning on the statue in the centre of the square, not wanting to make small talk. Geralt ignored her question getting straight to the point, he threw his sword to the ground in front of her. "The beast you are hunting can be damaged by magic, not killed by it. Take it."

She looked at it before going on to drag the conversation farther than it had to go, "At least I have magic to protect myself, you need a sword more than I do."

"Don't flatter yourself, I have the good two swords of the three. Either way, I have to get rid of it." He stood sternly in place. "Well, you entrusted me with the blade so you should teach me how to use it."

"You stab people with it."

"Properly!" She ordered lowering her tone in order to intimidate him. he took out his sword as she got up picking up the sword. They clinked their swords before back and forth between the two in a dangerous training session. After almost two hours still in darkness fighting one another at a swifter back-and-forth pace.

"You make this look so much more difficult than it is" Geralt spoke deliberately trying to get on her nerve as their swords struck each other. She gritted her teeth pushing against his sword.

"What can I say, I had a shit teacher." They pushed each other back taking a breath. "Witcher, you have served me well so I thank you. I will return the favour one day." She nodded gesturing for him to take his leave.

"I'm not leaving you just yet, my responsibility is to make sure you don't die fighting this beast."

"What would it take to get rid of you?" Y/n asked raising a brow half-jokingly.

"I thought you'd be honoured to be in the presence of a Witcher." He said sarcastically referring to the first conversation the two had shared. "That was a fantasy I will not be wishing of again any time soon."