"It's exciting, isn't it?" the young girl standing with Shay whispered. "Reyna Richards has started a non-profit, and she needs a company to help her invest and monitor the funds. I'm betting that Mr. Wright will do it for free and even make a significant donation.

"Mmmmm," Shay said noncommittally as she sipped her drink of water.

Shay watched with interest as the local president of the company greeted her parents and then escorted them across the room to Nate, who was in deep conversation with an older man and had his back to the door. It figured that he ignored the murmur of excitement that swept through the room.

The local president placed a hand on Nate's shoulder, causing him to turn toward him. Shay watched as introductions were made and hands were shaken. If Nate was impressed by meeting such famous people, he didn't show it.

Shay moved farther away from the crowd, toward a dark corner of the room. The last thing she needed was her parents making a scene if they saw her. She knew her mother would most likely play it cool, but her father had always been a wild card with his reactions. Her parents and Nate spoke for quite a while, and eventually, they left the room together.

Shay took the opportunity to sneak away and back to the suite, but she should have known that it was where Nate and her parents would have gone to have a personal conversation away from prying eyes.

As soon as she entered, all three pairs of eyes turned to look at her.

Shay reached up and pulled her right ear, a family sign that not everyone in the room was trusted. Of course, Nate was trusted, but she didn't have another way to tell them to be subtle about knowing her.

"Shay, your parents are interested in having us help them with their non-profit," Nate said with a smile in her direction.

Had her parents already told him that she was their daughter?

"It's news to me," Shay said as she walked toward her parents and hugged them.

Reyna tugged her left and then her right earlobe in question, and Shay tugged at her left ear in return, which meant that she could trust Nate.

Reyna turned to him with a big smile.

"Did Shay tell you we were her parents?" Reyna asked.

"No." Nate shook his head. "It wasn't hard to figure out."

"And here I thought I was incognito. Does Ellen know?" Shay asked.  Her friendships always seemed to change once people knew who her parents were.

"I haven't mentioned it." Nate motioned to the settee and chairs, inviting everyone to sit.

"Momma, why didn't you approach the New York branch about managing the funds?" Shay frowned. It would have made the most sense since she worked there.

"I didn't think you would approve. Your father and I know you are working hard to be independent, and we don't want to interfere with that." Reyna patted Shay's hand.

Shay felt tears prick the back of her eyes. She really did have the most supportive parents.

"Thank you, Momma." Shay gave her mother a wobbly smile.

"You're welcome. Now I want to talk with Nathan, so take your father somewhere and keep him entertained," she commanded.

"Yes, Momma." Shay rose and held her hand out for her father. "Come on, Pops. I have a crossword puzzle with your name on it in my room."

"That's alright. I know your mother and brought my own." He reached into his jacket and pulled out a folded piece of paper and pen.

"Aren't you working on a movie right now?" Shay asked as she moved with her father to the bedroom.

"I'm taking a few months off to help your mother get this non-profit up and going," Pops said as he settled onto the bed while Shay turned on the television and joined him.

It was sweet of her father to do, but since he was not with her and not part of the conversation in the other room, Shay doubted he was doing much.

"Sawyer said that you are refusing to help him tomorrow." Pops threw out offhandedly as he scribbled away.

"I'm not refusing. I told Sawyer I might have to work," Shay defended herself.

"Help your brother. It's only a few hours, and if we can't depend on each other, who can we depend on." Pops trailed off at the end as he started to scribble again.

Shay picked up her phone.

"Bringing Pops in was an underhanded move!" she texted Sawyer. "And if you knew they would be here, why didn't you warn me?"

"Where would the fun be in that?" Sawyer texted back. "I'll pick you up at your hotel at nine sharp."

"You will not!" Shay shuddered at the thought of all the attention that would draw. "I'll meet you at your fugly apartment."

"It's not fugly. It's in transition."

"Whatever!" Shay texted and threw her phone down.

"Good girl," her father patted her leg. "I like your Nathan."

"He's not my Nathan," Shay denied.

"Give it time," Pops said with a secret smile.