𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄 𝐎𝐏𝐏𝐒 : 𝐂𝐇. 𝟕

Start from the beginning

"No," the doctor cleared his throat, "Harlem just got out of an extensive and rough surgery, he's under heavy anesthesia and we just want him to get rest."

"Just," British let out a shaky sigh, "as long as he's alive. Can we come back tomorrow and see him?" She asked hopeful.

"Of course," the doctor smiled weakly standing up, shaking both of their hands and walking the both of them back to the waiting area. British felt completely drained and tired. The sinking realization of just how bad this could've gotten for Harlem, for everybody.

Vernon had never been a great block, at all. It was literally a three minute drive and ten minute walk from O'block, or the parkway homes. So whatever drama spilled out over there, usually spilled over to Vernon. But, king drive to cottage grove to Vernon were all in the same area, these were some of the worst streets in Chicago besides a couple of more because they stretch aways.

But in this case everybody knew exactly what it was. Somebody not having aim and shooting a child instead of the person they were aiming for.

"Is he okay?" Celeste asked hopeful. A sleeping Drew on Zoo's hip. Zoo stood behind her, with the same hopeful glint in his eyes.

"He's in serious condition," British sighed watching the both of their faces drop, Zoo sucking his teeth at the mention, "but he's a lucky little boy to be alive. He just need to hang in there."

"An' he will gang," Dayvon finally spoke up, "don't een' think different, you know how Harlem is."

British nodded lacing her own fingers together. "I think I needa go tell Bentley," she spoke of her mother, "she probably won't care much but she should know one of her kids is inna hospital."

"Alright, cool," Celeste dried her face, "I can take you."

"Hell nawl you can't!" Zoo spoke up before anyone else could. "Drew heavy as hell, he needa go home and get his big ass inna bed! I'a take Brit if dat' mean I'ca put his ass down!"

"Naw," Dayvon responded, "boffayall' needa go home an' shit y'all been hea' fa minute. I'ca take you," he turned to British, "I gotta stop by da O anyways."

British shrugged obviously overwhelmed, exhausted and worried spoke up, "I really don't care. Anybody who can take me, take me."

"You got her?" Celeste asked Dayvon gently grabbing Drew from Zoo's arms. British could hear her grandmother in the back of her mind telling her to breathe and pray, she knew there was no force stronger than god but this was a frightening moment.

"Yea we straight." Dayvon grabbed his key, "you ready?"

_________

"You wan' come in fa a minute, gang?" Dayvon asked her as soon as they pulled up to the Parkway buildings, getting whatever he needed to retrieve from there. British shook her head, she really had no business going up in there at all. She'd heard stories first person from celeste of what went down in those hallways.

"Nah, I don't even feel like movin' to be honest," she said half truthfully feeling the queasiness in her stomach.

"Ight, I'm fin' be right back—lock the doe' soon as I get out," he firmly responded making British nod, she hit the locks as soon as he opened that door. You can not sit in the car unlocked, in the hood.