"I'm friends with his regular assistant, Ellen, and she asked me to stand in because she knew I would be willing to vacate the position when the time came. I never knew that being an assistant to the upper echelon was such a coveted job. I didn't know it paid so well either."  Shay tried to keep it light and airy. She hoped that she could gain their trust and get them to talk about their bosses a little, especially Seaton. "We call the head of the accounting department The Dragon."

"It's a hard job. I've only been with Seaton for about four months, and I wouldn't be willing to travel with him." Amanda gave a disgusted shiver that told Shay more than words ever could about how the man was perceived.

"I get that. Some bosses take advantage of that type of situation." Shay nodded.

"I bet Mr. Wright never does," Amanda muttered as both women looked at him in the mirror again.

"No, Mr. Wright is always a perfect gentleman. He meets me in the lobby every morning and even refuses to share meals with me." Shay realized, for the first time, that Nate instilled a sense of trust in people.

If she thought back to the first encounter with him on the elevator and also when he had expressed his attraction to her, she had never felt threatened. Shay knew what it felt like to live under constant threat, and it was something that she couldn't even imagine with Nate.

She trusted him.

Shay didn't doubt that Nate could be strong and threatening if he had a mind to be, but he would never have a mind to be. It wasn't his style. He would sooner walk away after a few choice words than cause a scene.

"I've heard things about Mr. Seaton," Caroline whispered. "I've only been here for a few months, but the women avoid him. I was warned about him on my first day here. I'm always careful to stay behind the receptionist's desk when he is around."

"Have you had trouble, Amanda?" Shay asked, turning her attention to the other lady.

"No, but I'm not exactly the type of woman that men hit on." She laughed awkwardly. "I'm surprised he hasn't hit on you yet."

"I'm always with Mr. Wright." Shay had another thought. "Is that why your Director of Communications left?"

Amanda nodded. "Unofficially, of course. She was smart and good at her job, but she could only be chased around her desk so many times without anyone doing anything before she decided to leave. She threatened to sue the company, but I think she may have been paid off."

Amanda reached for another glass of wine from a passing waiter.

"That's horrible!' Shay shook her head.

"It's not the first time, and it won't be the last," Amanda shrugged.

The women changed the subject to New York and what it was like to live there. It had been an informative conversation that she wanted to share with Nate as soon as possible, and when the ladies left to get some food, Shay caught Nate's eye and then moved toward the corridor to wait for him to join her.

She had only been in the corridor waiting for a minute or two when the door to the men's room opened, and Seaton joined her.

"Well, well, well," he drawled as he looked her up and down. "You sure do look pretty tonight, lovely lady," he smiled what she guessed was his most charming smile but looked more like a grimace.

"Thank you," Shay said, not wanting to worsen the situation by angering him with immediate rejection.

"Wright sure is lucky to have you helping him. I'm sure you help him with all sorts of things." Seaton ran his finger up Shay's bare arm, and it caused her to step away from him instinctively.

"I'm not sure I like what you're implying, Mr. Seaton," Shay firmly said.

"Oh, I think you do. Young girls like you are always willing to give out a few favors for a few bonuses." He grinned again.

"Young girls like me?" Shay questioned. "What kind of girl am I, Mr. Seaton?"

"You know, young, single, willing to travel with the boss." He reached down and adjusted himself as he eyed her again. "Look, let's go somewhere, all you have to do is relax, and I'll do all the work. It doesn't have to be a big deal." He reached out and touched her arm again.

His words were offensive and reminded Shay of a past she would rather forget, so she turned to leave the situation without even thinking about the consequences.

Seaton wasn't having it, and he reached out to grab her arm to stop her from walking away.

Shay opened her mouth to tell him off, yell, scream, she wasn't sure which, but it was unnecessary because Nate's hand caught Seaton's before it could touch her.

"That was all I needed to hear, Seaton," Nate said in a low voice. He wasn't yelling and didn't even appear overly angry. "Leave," he commanded, "now."

"It was her fault. She stopped me-" Seaton blustered, but Nate was having none of it.

"I – know – what - happened. Leave!" Nate said with more strength. "Ms. Richards, please go to the suite."

Shay nodded and turned, opting to take the stairs instead of the elevator. She was doing her best not to think about what had just happened. One thing she had learned to do over the years was block out the past, now was a definite time to block.

She tried to focus on all the work she would do the following day, but it still felt like forever before Nate joined her upstairs after what was probably only half an hour.

"Are you alright?" he asked when he entered.

"Yes," Shay nodded. "I wanted to tell you what Amanda and her friend told me about Seaton, but I'm guessing I don't have to now?" Shay swallowed hard.

For some reason, looking at Nate watching her so earnestly made her want to rush into his arms. She needed comforting, and she had a feeling that Nate would be a natural at it.

He was silent for a moment as if gathering his thoughts.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that, but it worked out much cleaner for everyone involved." He paused once more. "I don't have to convince innocent women who have felt threatened to help me get rid of him. I witnessed it, so I can do it myself." Nate put his hands in his pockets as he watched her.

Shay forced a smile. "I'm glad it worked out."

Nate walked toward her and placed his hands on her shoulders. "Thank you, Shay. Thank you for your hard work this week and for not complaining." He gave a gentle smile that made Shay want to sigh.

"I'm just trying to measure up to Ellen. I'm sure she never complains." Shay could feel the warmth of his hands on her shoulders, and the human contact was like a thread that kept her from falling.

"Ellen is a natural complainer." Nate smiled again.

"You mean that's an option?" Shay tried to joke, but all she could focus on was his hands on her shoulders.

"For Ellen, sure." He stepped away from Shay. "You're in for the night?" he asked.

Shay nodded. "If you don't mind." She missed the brief contact already.

"No," he agreed before turning and leaving the suite to return to the party.

It took Shay only a moment to realize that she should have gone with him because now she was left with only her thoughts, and the past was quickly closing in on her.