Chapter 1 - Lesson's in Guns & Life

Start from the beginning

She smirks at my words, maybe proud? “Good. Okay, next. I want you to use two hands to hold the gun. First grip the hand of gun with your dominant hand on the back strap. The back strap is the back of the grip on the gun.  This gives you more leverage against the weapon which will help you control the recoil when you fire the gun. It’s gonna give you quite a jolt.”

I can’t help but gulp down at the sound of her words. When I really think about it there must be a big ‘bang’ to shooting a gun. I am so clueless about things like this, and it annoys me that I’m so ignorant about the topic even though I have no interest in the thing.

Gimme your hands.”

Without question I watch her seriously as I raise my hands for her. Knowing I am right handed she grabs for it and wraps it around the handle.

The metal of the gun gives me the chills at its hardy, heavy feeling. 

“Now we are going to place what we call your support hand, which is your non-dominant hand, so that it is pressed firmly against the exposed portion of the grip not covered by the gun hand. See here?” and she grabs for my left hand and wraps around where it should. “All four fingers of your support hand should be under the trigger guard with the index finger pressed hard underneath it. You see what I mean?”

Catching me off guard, she raises my hands bracing the gun, and extends my arms out straight, as if preparing me for a shot. Her hands are soft and meticulous as she makes a few adjustments on my grip, but then she let’s go. Now it is just me holding this weapon looking like I know what I am doing. Yea right.

I can’t help my wide eyed stark look as she takes a deliberate step off to the side, smiling wryly at me as she examines me freely.

“Glad you find me amusing, Ms. Turner.”

She grins this time, “Always, Mr. Hunt.” She steps forward to place a chaste kiss on my cheek. 

Leaning into her kiss she laughs as she sees my outstretched arms falling. 

“Jeremy, pay attention!” She manually raises my arms for me. Apparently this lesson is no laughing matter.

“I’m sorry. You are just a very delectable distraction.”

She rolls her eyes, and shakes off the comment, deciding to side step it entirely. “Now, I want you to take a stand with your feet and hips shoulder width apart, and bend your knees slightly.”

I do as I am told but can’t help my wolfish grin as she walks behind me to my other side, while swiping her hand across the waistband of my jeans. Cheeky much?

“Ten-four, Agent Turner” I quip.

“You’re mocking me. I’d be careful if I were you, and I’d remember that I am doing this because I want you to be safe.”

Keeping my arms raised I turn to her, “Want me to be safe? I’ll never even own a gun.”

“What are you talking about Mr. Hunt? The gun in your hands is now your own personal one.”

No! Dammit. 

I want so badly to throw a fit, but she stops me, knowing me far too well. “Arms up! No more talk. Legs shoulder length apart, and bend those knees!”

I let out a huff feeling my brimming anger at the fact that I am holding my own gun that I want to have nothing to do with.

“Alex, you really like to put me on the brink, huh?” and I make it a point to keep my eyes straight ahead, knowing she is probably smiling at me.