Chapter One Hundred and Forty Nine

Aurora

"So... how does it feel to be Sam's muse?" Jess teased as she sipped on the glass of wine in her hand. We had decided that a girl's night in was a definite need, so I invited the girls around mine. A lot of alcohol had been consumed and I was already pushing tipsy easily. Well. That may have been a bit of an understatement.

"What?" I coughed, choking on my own wine and startling Heidi, who was sprawled out across the sofa with her head in my lap.

"Sam's muse?" Harlow snorted in amusement.

"Aye," Jess frowned as though her statement was obvious. "Get You Down?"

"What? One song?" I laughed.

"Hold out?" Jess offered.

"That's not about me," I scowled, hiding from their heavy stares by taking a large gulp of my wine.

"That's not what he told me," Harlow sang chirpily.

"All is on my side?" Heidi suggested as she stared up at me with a subtle smirk. My face darkened. I had forgotten about that one. "You're not the only one?"

"Good Company? Paradigms?" Jess continued.

"Better of me?" Harlow interjected. My stomach dropped upon hearing the song's name. Sam had failed to mention that one and I had yet to hear it, so I was left wondering what the song was actually about.

"B-better of me?" I frowned, swallowing down the thick lump that formed at the back of my throat.

Harlow let out a loud groan as her head fell against the back of the sofa. "God, did he not learn his lesson after the last time?" she huffed.

"Maybe he's waiting for the reet time," Jess suggested with an unsure shrug, a meagre attempt to stick up for her friend.

"The reet time?" Harlow scoffed. "The album's getting released in less than a month!"

"Y'kna wor Sam, he's like last lap Annie sometimes!" Heidi exclaimed.

"Knowing him he's probably forgotten all about it," Jess grumbled.

"Reet, you're all making me feel a bit sick I won't lie," I interjected loudly, discarding my glass on the coffee table.

"Shit," Heidi cursed sympathetically as she readjusted herself to sit up. "It's nowt bad, promise. Maybe yer should ask him to play it for ya? Put your mind at ease a bit, eh?"

"Aye," I gulped.

"D'ya think yer'd go back?" Jess asked quietly after a moment's silence.

I suppressed my choking as my breath caught and my stomach flipped uncomfortably. "Er, I dunna," I shrugged. Three heads whipped in my direction, wide eyes staring at me in shock. "What?"

"Usually that would be an adamant no," Harlow pointed out suspiciously. "Don't tell me he's actually wearing yer down?"

"It's finally happening!" Heidi squealed excitedly.

"No!" I exclaimed. "I said I dunna, that don't mean I'm gan get back with him!" I was lying through my teeth but they didn't know that.

"Maybe though?" Jess grinned.

"He'll have to grow a pair and ask her oot first," Harlow snorted humourlessly. "It was painful watching the two of them get together when we were in school."

"Shut up," I scowled as I launched one of the decorative pillows that lay beside me at her head but she easily ducked to avoid it.

"Better luck next time buttercup," my best friend grinned as she stood from the sofa. "I'm gan for a piss."