ch. 2 - the big news

Start from the beginning

Mandy: "What's up, Noah?"

*they fist bump and chat*

Mandy and Noah have some history. They became great friends through ASB in their sophomore year and then Noah asked her out on a date. She had been asked out before, but Noah was the first guy she had said yes to at that point. They dated for a couple of months and then decided to part ways and just remain friends. It wasn't any sort of negative break up, but it just didn't feel like they were really in love. But the thing Mandy loved about Noah was that despite their history, their friendship didn't change. And now they supported each other unconditionally in everything they did. 

Noah: "Okay so you know that they're announcing the ASB elections results today... and EVERYONE knows you're gonna get ASB President! SO basically the summer kickoff Lily is throwing is like your election inauguration celebration."

Mandy: "Oh my gosh Noah we don't know if that's true! Jaxon and Sarai are also really good candidates!"

Noah: "Noooo, we all know you're gonna be the best president."

Mandy: "I can only hope. Still, I don't want to assume anything! I think the competition was super close this year." 

Noah: "No shot. You're gonna hit this one out of the ball park. Plus, you already know you got my vote." *he playfully smirked*

Mandy: "Well, I appreciate your support." *she smiles at him and high five*

*later that day*

Mandy made it through half of her classes of the day, and then it was time for lunch. She met up with Emily, Selah, and the rest of her friends. 

Ashlyn: "Mandy, did you hear?! They are announcing the election winners during 7th period today!"

Mandy: "Oh I didn't know that! At least it's during our last class so I can leave right after if I lose haha."

Mia: "No of course not! We all know it's gonna be you. And when they announce your name on that intercom, we're all gonna storm into your class and celebrate!"

Mandy was elated and grateful for her supportive friends, but part of her was a little embarrassed to be getting so much praise, especially for something she hadn't won yet. On the inside, she was hoping with all her heart that she'd win ASB President, because she had so many plans and ideas for their senior year and wanted to do what was in the best interest of their school. Her only problem was that it was difficult to show thanks to her friends on the outside, without feeling like she was bragging, or expecting to win. 

Mandy: "Aww you guys are too invested in this! Haha."

*Last class of the day*

Mandy knew the time was coming. The announcement would be heard during this class and it would heavily impact her last year of high school. She began to feel anxious, and the pit of her stomach sank. When she felt the nerves come on, it brought her back to the moments when she was with Hunter. Those feelings always tended to creep back in. When she was lost in her thoughts, dwelling over him, the intercom beeped. It was time...

Speaker: "What's up, Falcons?! You all know what time it is... it's time to announce next years ASB! *the students in class cheered and eagerly looked at Mandy* Starting off with our commissioners... we have selected Eliana, Jared, Brooke, Emily, Selah, and Ace!

Mandy was so excited for Emily and Selah to be elected. She had been encouraging them to apply for 2 years and they finally did! Now they could all serve together during their senior year... well, if Mandy is also selected. 

.. And then our Media team includes: Sarai, Rex, Karter, and Daniel!

Mandy felt a jolt of excitement because Sarai, one of her two opponents, was now out of the way because she was put onto the media team. And then, she knew what was coming next...

... and lastly, the news we have all been waiting for.. our student executive board! The new ASB Manager is Noah! *Mandy jumped for joy on the inside but remained still because she needed to listen* Next up our Media Director is Hailey! And finally students, can I get a drum roll please for our final member? *all the classrooms filled with students stomping their feet for their drum roll* Falcons, it is my privilege to announce the 2022-2023 ASB President is....

MANDY MATTHEWS!!!"

Suddenly the bell rang and class was out. Mandy's face grew a huge smile and Noah was the first person to find her. He ran up to her and gave her a huge hug. 

Noah: "CONGRATULATIONS MADAME PRESIDENT!! I KNEW YOU'D WIN"

Mandy: "AHHH thank you!! Wait, what did you call me?"

Noah: "Madame President! What else would I say?"

Mandy: "HAHA you're too much!"

Noah: "You deserve it! Well, I gotta bounce but we'll celebrate more at your "inauguration-celebration" next week!"

As Noah headed out of school, Mandy was ambushed by her friends, who presented her with balloons, party cone hats, and a big cake. Mandy burst out laughing and hugged all of them. 

Mandy: "YOU DID NOT!"

Emily: "WE DID!!"

They all congratulated Mandy and spent a good 30 minutes gushing over how excited they are for her. They had a great time while eating cake and messing around with the balloons, and then Mandy had to head home. She walked to her car and felt a brief moment of pride. She couldn't help but feel delighted, for all of the years of dedication and hard work she put into ASB had paid off. She was so excited to tell her parents. 

When Mandy arrived at home, she ran into the house and found her mom and dad waiting for her on the living room couch. 

Mandy: "Guys I have HUGE AND GREAT news!!"

Mandy's Mom: "We do too, Honey!!"

This threw off Mandy because there was never too much "good news" from her parents. In fact, it was usually Mandy who came home with the good news, usually about acing a test or some kind of success. She decided whatever they had to share must be very important. 

Mandy: "Oh... well you guys can go first I guess." 

Mandy's Mom: "Well... your dad finally sold his business... and we're moving to Utah permanently this summer!"

Mandy: "WHAT?!?!"