"I'm not that much older than you. I know what Friday Night Fights are, Charlie." I rolled my eyes, putting the roach out in the ashtray I kept for that purpose. "Does Jason know?"

"No."

"Liz?"

"Definitely not."

"So how do you hide the bruises?"

"I wear makeup, because I'm a lady." He narrowed his eyes at the sarcasm.

"You should also put some other clothes on, because you're a lady." He added, glancing down pointedly at where my blanket had ridden down to show off the crop top I wore to bed. Solid d-cup, and braless? Awkward. I felt my face heat up as I jerked the blanket up to cover my chest, but he was already rising. He didn't glance back as he entered the bathroom, the door shutting a little too softly to be normal. I got up and pulled clothes on inside my closet because I normally changed in the bathroom.

When I got downstairs, he was eating with Danny and Everett. I made my plate and coffee before joining them at the table. We ate in silence for a few minutes, everyone lost in thought.

"Plans for today?" Everett asked, glancing between me and Danny.

"With this aching face? Not a fat chance in hell am I leaving this house today. You bitches better bring me pizza for lunch and leave me the hell alone." They chuckled, bickering over who got the last pieces of bacon.

"Give some to Charlie." Zane ordered, looking up from his plate to see I hadn't grabbed any. "She looks like she needs the protein this morning."

"Don't like bacon, so I doubled up on sausage." I muttered, my face getting hot at the look Danny gave me when Everett choked on his orange juice. I sipped my coffee, the thought of doing homework giving me a headache.

"What are you going to do today?" Danny asked. "And don't say-"

"Homework." I finished, chuckling at the look on their faces. "High school might stop on the weekend, but college never does. Remember that for next year, boys." They groaned at my words.

After breakfast, Zane left without a word to anyone.

"What's Uncle Zane doing here?" Danny asked when Everett went to the bathroom. I explained; he nodded but didn't comment.

"You think your uncle will tell on us?" Everett asked when he came back.

"He knows about the fights, and he asked if Mom and Dad know. I'd say he's cool with it. But I feel like we owe him for keeping the secret, so I'd say be on the lookout for that possible IOU."

After cleaning up the kitchen mess for me, and promising to return with pizza, they were off to do boy stuff they did when I wasn't around.

I spent some time cleaning my room, tidying the bathroom and putting a load of laundry on. I changed into some shorts when I was done with that, before I spread my books across my bed and started working.

I must have fallen asleep, which is why I tried not to do homework in bed. I'd barely gotten a single assignment done before dozing off. The sound of the bathroom door opening pulled my attention in that direction. Zane walked in, coming to sit in the desk chair where we'd left it earlier.

"You always work this hard?"

"Pretty much."

"You teach four classes at the gym during the week." I nodded, though it wasn't a question. "How did Dad rope you into that?"

"He didn't. I suggested the classes so the parents who avoided the gym because of daycare problems could be tempted to come work out while their kids are there so we make more money. Two days a week their kids are at the gym, and they don't have to watch them? Plus, they get a discount on the classes if they have a membership? You'd be surprised at the number of moms who bench over two-fifty." He chuckled in response.