What We See When We're Really Looking

En başından başla

"Yeah, mate?" Theo shifts his body in front of Luka, and if he didn't know any better, he would say the move is almost protective. And once again, the tension that's had it's hand wrapped around his throat since last night tightens it's grip, and he really can't breathe.

"Food's ready; I took a plate to Harry. I just wanted to let you know that I'm going down below to sleep," their eyes scan Luka up and down several times with no attempt at being discreet.

Theo crosses the space and pats their cheek, "Aye, thank you. This is Luka Littletown - he's your newest mate. Luka, this is Miles; they're the night helmsman and unofficial sous-chef to Bart."

There's a hint of mischief in his tone; a looser, airier quality to his energy in the presence of his crew member, Luka notices. He also notices the playful emphasis on his last name as it leaves Theo's mouth and is wary of the warmth that spreads and fills the space between his ribs in response.

"Glad to know you," Miles says to Luka before tipping their hat to to their captain, "Good morning, Theo."

"Good night, Miles."

The younger mate backs out of the cabin, eyes dancing between the two men, and Luka feels very on display. He's going to excuse himself to get some air, because there is none in this cabin, when something soft rubs up against his leg. Luka's eyes cast downward, landing on a black cat that is sitting happily at his feet and gazing back up at him.

"Oh," he whispers in awe, "Hi."

"This is Tide, the most essential member of our crew," Theo states proudly.

Luka bends at the waist to pet him and the cat happily jumps up onto his shoulder and nuzzles against his neck. The joy he's feeling in this moment is so overwhelming, he feels tears trying to escape his ducts.

His voice remains soft as the small creature turns around once, twice, and makes himself comfortable, "I had a cat when I was very little. I haven't seen one in over a decade."

Seeing the pure joy on Luka's face in this moment is so overwhelming that Theo fears he may cry in front of the lad. And that simply won't do. He turns away, coughing into the crook of his elbow, "Let's go get some grub before there's nothing left for us. You're going to love the crew, but they're not polite enough to wait for our arrival before digging in."

Theo's index finger reaches down and hooks around Luka's pinky, tugging him forward, "Come."

Breathe.

The black cat contedly uses Luka's shoulder for transportation all the way from the cabin, across the deck and down into the crew's quarters. As they near the dining hall and he hears the sounds of utensils scraping across plates and loud chatter though, he hops down and scampers away, leaving the men in a heavy silence.

"Did you sleep okay?" The older man asks, hand moving to Luka's shoulder to gently turn him left down a narrow hall. It's so tight that the captain has to step back and follow one pace behind.

A bitter laugh bubbles out of Luka's mouth, "I was either sleeping on cold, piss-soaked wood or tied to the mast in a standing position unable to feel my legs on the last ship, so yes," he turns abruptly and Theo stops short, "I slept great."

Theo is struggling to read his counterpart's face when it breaks into a wry smile, and he's relieved - can feel the tension dissipate from his shoulders as he lets them finally relax. This man is going to be very challenging, and it would be untruthful for him to say that didn't excite him a little.