Radio Silence (Mini One Shot)

"I want to know what is going on."

"None of us know what happened, [Y/N]." Lobo replied. "The transmission's cut."

While Chris, Canine, and Night Owl had gone to the Reservoir to investigate, Tundra, Umber Eyes, Lobo, and I had stayed back, holding our respective positions. But confusion started to spread among us as we had just heard Charlie's and Dion's transmissions fall silent, leaving us to wonder what could have happened to them. I felt my heart begin to race as I grew more and more worried with each second of silence passing; being left in the dark was killing me slowly, so much so that I soon could not stay idle anymore.

"Alright, fuck this, I'm going to the Reservoir to go look for them." I declared, already moving out.

"[Y/N], no." Umber Eyes instantly fired back. "We've got orders, Chris asked us to stay put."

"Don't move from your position, [Y/N], I'm sure they're all right." Tundra added.

I remained silent, ignoring what they had to say, and promptly left off.

I can't sit around while the man I love is in trouble... Even if that love may be unrequited.

I knew I was not too far from the Reservoir and could make it in time if I was fast enough; as I ran through the village, I came across a few werewolves but quickly disposed of them. When I finally arrived at the Reservoir, I looked in the distance and saw a partially broken cabin, recognizing it as the outpost we had established there: and close to it, crouching halfway in the water, not moving a muscle, was Chris.

"Jesus..."

As I wondered if he was alright, concerned to see he was staying still, my attention was drawn to movement in the water, not too far from him, and I eventually noticed Ethan running left and right through the Reservoir. I ran to the water, carefully avoiding making any movement or noise that might have attracted Moreau's attention, until arriving next to Chris, and I instinctively put a hand on his back.

He quickly turned his face to me, and only then did I see that he was holding a cigarette in his fingers; he had visibly been trying to light it, but wet as it was, to no avail. My worry turned into anger as I leaned closer to him.

"Chris! A cigarette, really? You think this is the right time to smoke? I've got to get you out of here, c'mon!"

He did not answer and simply put his cigarette away and back in his pocket; I could see that he looked a bit shaken up, and I helped him make his way through the water.

"Where are Canine and Night Owl anyway?" I asked as we were walking.

"I sent them off to go dry and set back in their position." Chris replied slightly wavering.

"What? What kind of idea is that?" I exclaimed. "You should have never let yourself be alone, have you seen the state you're in? What would you have done if I had not come to pick you up?"

Deep down, I knew Chris was fine and was probably not even injured, but I could not help but worry anyway. I looked at him with saddened eyes and sighed.

"What happened to you three?" I asked, calmer.

"We ran into Ethan who stumbled upon our research post, and as we were talking Moreau came charging at us. I guess the line cut after we fell into the water."

I listened to him, taking in all the information, as I made sure we were moving slowly through the water: between Chris' state and not wanting to attract Moreau's attention, we had to take it easy. Once back on land, I forced him to sit down and set myself next to him while he took his coat off to wring the water out of it.

"We've got to regroup with the rest of the squad so that we can go over the next step in our mission." Chris said, as serious as always.

I felt a knot tie inside my throat as I looked at him speak, his coat in his hands: he was shaking, still seeming a little dizzy, and I suddenly started feeling tears swell in my eyes.

"Since Ethan intervened and the outpost got destroyed, we're gonna have to change our game slightly. I think we should-"

Chris slowly stopped speaking as he looked up at me, noticing I was crying. We looked into each other's eyes in silence as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"I was so scared for you..." I spoke in a shaky whisper.

His expression turned sad, and as he set his coat to the side, he got close to me and wrapped me in his arms.

"I'm fine, it's all right, [Y/N]." He reassured me in a warm tone. "You don't need to worry."

I hugged him back, holding his back firmly, listening to his soothing voice.

"Thank you for worrying so much for me, I wouldn't have thought you'd go such a long way just to come get me."

He gently let go of me and left a kiss on my cheek, taking me by surprise and making me blush.

"I would have given you more if you hadn't disobeyed the order I gave you to stay put." He teased me with a smile.

I smiled back and chuckled in relief as he put his coat back on; managing to establish a connection again with the rest of the squad through my headset, I told them we were both all right. And as we started to make our way back to meet with them, we exchanged loving smiles.