vanessa

Jack already felt defeated from the past few days when he showed up at Vanessa's apartment. It shouldn't be as hard as it had been to tell people you're engaged. He knew it would be no easier to tell Vanessa. Maybe he needed to thank her. She told him the worst news of his life, but it brought him back to Beth. Jack almost used his key to Vanessa's apartment, but thought it may be more appropriate to knock.

"Oh my gosh, hey," Vanessa said with a smile as she opened the door. "You've been kind of A-wall. How have you been?"

"I've been alright..." Jack said, walking into the familiar apartment.

"I know it's been hard Jack, I'm sorry. I tried to talk her out of it back when it happened or at least tell her to talk to you, but she refused. I just thought you deserved to know, even after all this time."

Vanessa closed the door and walked in after Jack, offering him a sympathetic smile.

"I actually wanted to thank you," Jack said, taking a seat in one of her kitchen island bar stools.

"For telling you?"

"Yeah, it means a lot," Jack told her. "It actually encouraged me to get back in touch with Beth."

 Vanessa scoffed and leaned on the island.

"You're talking to her? After you found out she kept that from you for so long?"

"Yeah...I actually proposed."

Vanessa dropped her head in her hands and sighed.

"Seriously Jack? Give it up. It's over; she doesn't love you. I don't know that she ever loved you."

"She said yes."

"Of course she did! She feels guilty for what she did and that you found out, don't you see that?!"

"Vanessa, don't do this. I'm happy."

Vanessa crossed her arms.

"Congrats then Jack, enjoy it while it lasts."

"What does that mean? I told you we're getting married."

"C'mon Jack, that's not going to happen. You can't commit to anyone. You hung out here every day for nearly six months and never even took me on a date. And if you don't back out, Beth will once she comes to her senses."

No one thought Jack and Beth would make it down the aisle; no one wanted them to. 

"Vanessa, I want this. Please be happy for me."

"Please think about this. I've watched you and Beth chase after each other for years. When she was so desperate for your attention, you were ashamed to be seen with her. Once you finally loved her, she made a life-changing decision without consulting you. You guys have never loved each other; you've just spent the last decade lusting after each other. You can't get married."

"And why is that? Maybe we finally made it work!"

"Why? Because you're a whore Jack. I can't even count the number of girls from high school that you've fucked, and I don't even want to think about how many others you've slept with around the world on tour. Beth's the only girlfriend you've ever had, despite plenty of opportunities to have other girlfriends. I would've been your girlfriend in a heartbeat. You were acting like you were my boyfriend for months, but you can't commit. You could never be satisfied being with just Beth."

"I can commit, you're just pissed it wasn't to you."

"Oh you can commit? Awesome, let's collect all of your shit that's accumulated here so you can take it all with you."

Vanessa marched off to her bedroom and pulled open a dresser drawer that had become full with things Jack had left at her apartment, t-shirts, sweatpants, sunglasses, a phone charger. She threw the items at him one by one as he struggled to catch them.

"Have a nice life Jack. Just know that she doesn't love you and I know for a fact you don't love her. You're incapable of loving anyone."