Chapter eighteen

I woke the next morning to Kelly looking down at me, propped up on her elbow. She gives a light smile and kisses my forehead. "Good morning," she says quietly, brushing hair off my forehead. 

"Everything okay," I ask in a murmured whisper. 

She nods lightly and says softly with a smile, "Just admiring how cute my wife looks sleeping."

"Sorry I ruined your moment," I say quietly and she gives me a kiss. 

"It's okay," she says quietly as Claire walks in with my medication and her prenatal vitamin. "Thank you Claire."

"You're welcome," she says with a smile. She looks at me and asks shyly, "Are you up for me helping Kelly give you a sponge bath today?"

I raise eyebrows at Kelly and she lets out a light laugh. "Claire's already seen everything. She's been one of your nurses since we met," she chokes quietly at the end. "You've just been unconscious when she's helped change you into a hospital gown."

"Honestly if Kelly didn't say yes when you asked her out, I was going to ask. I found you attractive, still do," Claire says with a mild blush.

I nod, taking everything in and say quietly, "As long as Kelly is okay with it."

"We'll have breakfast first," Kelly says with a light smile and gives me a kiss.

Claire helps me out of bed and our eyes meet. I could see how much she admired me and respected that I was with Kelly. She gives my cheek a kiss and helps Kelly guide me to the kitchen. Caroline was already finishing up with breakfast. She had her phone to her ear and cups the receiver. "Mom wants to know if she can come over?"

I look at Kelly and she shakes her head. "Kelly is a little emotional this morning," Caroline says quietly and Kelly mouths a thank you to her. "I'll call you when they're ready for visiting...I love you too."

Claire helps her bring breakfast and coffee to the table and takes the seat next to me. I was left between her and Kelly and knew I was in trouble. They took turns feeding me and helping me drink my coffee. Caroline laughs and says, "You have it in with the ladies huh little sister?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I say with a mischievous smile. 

She looks between Kelly and Claire and I notice they're both watching my chest rise and fall as I breathe. "See anything interesting," I ask with a smile.

"What," they ask in a distant whisper in unison. 

Caroline laughs and they both look at her confused. "You were both spaced out, watching her," she says with a laugh. 

They both blush and look away. "I thought it was cute," I say with a light smile and they look at me. 

"I'm sorry, I forgot about feeding you," Kelly says quietly, feeding me some pancakes. 

"Look at me," I say in a soothing whisper and she looks at me with tears in her eyes. "What's upsetting you?"

"Just thinking about what you said to your mother yesterday, about not wanting to be a cop anymore," she chokes quietly. Tears roll down her cheeks as she says, "If you weren't a cop, we wouldn't have met."

"I said those things because I was scared," I choke quietly as tears roll down my face. "I'm scared every time I walk out the front door, that I won't walk back in at the end of the day."

She gives me a kiss, wiping my eyes. "The only times you've ended in the hospital was from protecting me and Jamie. You only ended in the hospital this time because of a bullet fragment left behind saving Jamie," she chokes in a soothing whisper and I let out a calming breath. She gives me a small smile and says, "I love you Jennifer, no matter what job you have."