Lillies

A tiny mistake the night before and Shams was up and at 'em at 8:30am on a Sunday. Her mistake? She forgot to switch off her stupid alarm. She could've had one more hour of sleep if it wasn't for the annoying alarm she thought. She turned to her side and felt the empty space on her bed with her hand. Getting used to his presence on her bed, in her home was so organic and so quick because of all the time they had spent apart. He'd be wide awake and having his tea she thought. With that thought, she quickly fetched her phone and called him. They couldn't start their days without each other, and they definitely couldn't end them without each other. His phone rang and rang, but he didn't pick up. She thought he must still be sleeping and that he'd call her back once he got up.

It was 10am now. Shams was done having her breakfast, finished her bath, wore a knee-length floral dress and was about to leave for Shilpa's in a while. She still hadn't heard from RaQ and was on edge about it. Knowing him, he was already up. So why hadn't he called yet? Upset, she picked up her shades and left the apartment. Just when she sat in her car, her phone rang - RaQ was video calling. She received it on the first ring itself.

"You were waiting for me or what?" he enquired with the biggest smile on his face, still in bed, his hair disheveled.

"I can't believe you were sleeping till now. What happened?" she asked ignoring his question and his oh-so-desirable dimples.

"Arey nothing, after you slept last night, I was about to go sleep too. But then Amol and Nilesh came over all of a sudden, so we were just drinking, chatting and dancing till like 3am. It was too much fun!", he said laughing. "Oh okay! Well, I just called because I was missing you. I know you're coming tomorrow, but do you think you could come today? It's Sunday we'll spend some time. You've been in Pune since Gudi Padwa, come fast no!", she said

"Baby aaj nai yaar. Bohot thaka hu! Hangover hi gaya nai hai. Kal aaunga na tere paas, mast fresh hoke. I'm too lazy to come today" he mumbled, tossing and turning in bed.

Shams felt dejected, and snapped "Fine, your wish. Anyway I'm going to Shilpa's, we'll talk later okay? Bye." She didn't wait for his answer and declined the call. She knew it was rude of her, but she couldn't help the feeling of wanting to hug him tight and have him near her. RaQ hit his phone on his head and laughed. He thought he'd freshen up and call her in a while. He quickly got up from bed, made tea for Aai and himself, and sauntered over to her part of the house. 20 minutes had passed, they were enjoying their tea, and he happened to check his phone. Shams got papped. She had reached Shilpa's. He excused himself, and video called her again while walking to his balcony. "Hi baby," he said, flashing his dimples and his warm cup of tea. Shams was in no mood. She just half-smiled at him and was busy watching Shilpa and her mom discuss what they want to do for their small Baisakhi Puja the next day.

R: Hello?? Talk at least? What happened?

S: Nothing. I'm just not in the mood.

R: You want me to go? Spend some time there? (She gave him a "are you kidding me? I just told you I want you here 20mins ago" look)

R: (chuckled) I'll stay.

Shams was mad at him but didn't want him to go. He kept drinking his tea and sketching something on his notepad while he kept Shams company. She was drawn to him sketching, she'd look away only when he'd look at her.

Shilpa: Mamma, what do you want to do for flowers tomorrow? I want a nice white arrangement this time, maybe some exotic flowers this time?

S: (this piqued Shams' interest) What about some nice Lillies? Use Lillies na. (she said, her eyes twinkling)

RaQ smiled on the other side, still sketching, not knowing she liked Lillies just as much as he did.

Shilpa: Aye nobody cares about your stupid Lillies man. I'm tired of your Lilly suggestion every time. Go through Samisha's flower book, it's there on that table. Pick a new flower to like.