Maybe I'm Amazed

(Yes, I'm just using song titles because I HATE titling, it's the worst part of writing anything. So, for a description: y/n and Remus are married with a young son - Regulus Hope Lupin. Some Death Eaters show up at their apartment and there are some blatant and shameless James references. TW: main character death at the end, but it's not Remus, y/n, or their son, just a canon death and this is how they handle it. Oh yeah and language but you've already been warned about that.)

Moments ago, it had been a quiet and happy evening with my husband and son. But as foreign footsteps clattered in the hall and the war forced its way through our front door, I scooped our little boy from the floor and placed him in Remus' arms.

"Take Reg and go! Now!"

"Y/n, NO!" he bellowed, reaching out to hold me back while clutching our son closer.

"Remus, get him to safety, I'll hold them off and join you right away. Please, just do as I say!"

I didn't turn around, I didn't look back. I trusted him to save our son and make my efforts worthwhile. I waited for the flash of green light from the floo in my office upstairs, well aware as I descended that a similar flash could be the last thing I ever saw.

'Protego Totalum!' My nonverbal magic was fortunately still sharp from my time in America, I flung every shield charm I knew down the staircase as I watched for the invaders I knew couldn't be far off. They were searching the ground floor, it wouldn't be long before they finished.

Just as the glint of silver masks and white-blond hair caught the lamplight, the flash of Floo Powder alerted me to my family's escape and I bolted up the stairs. I grabbed the entire glass jar of ashy powder and smashed it under my feet as my back hit the brick of the fireplace. I said as clearly and quietly as possible the name of the first safe house I could think of, and as I was yanked from the sight of my office I screamed "Confringo!" through a mouthful of soot, wand pointed firmly downward. The fireplace was utterly destroyed in my wake, and there was no way anyone could follow.

I landed on an ornate andiron, trapped somewhat by a mesh screen. Inside, a father and daughter were building a small wooden tower. Looking up in mild surprise, Ted Tonks smiled warmly and crawled forward on hands and knees to open the screen. Nymphadora, her ever-changing hair somewhat settled on a soft pink, sat on her knees raising the tower ever skyward.

"Hullo, y/n/n."

"Heya, Ted. Hi, Dora," but her concentration was not to be broken. I smiled, "Sorry for the intrusion."

"Not at all. What's the matter?"

"Death Eaters. I need to get to Remus, but it wasn't safe to go there directly."

"Death Eaters? In your flat?"

"Unfortunately, yeah. I don't know what happened to our Fidelius Charm, but I need to check on Marlene as well. Hey, Drom."

Andromeda, stunning as ever, was wrapped in a long crocheted shawl. "Is everything alright?"

"Death Eaters, she and Remus had to split up. We're a stop on the way," said Ted fondly, but not without worry.

"Can I Apparate from here?" I asked cautiously.

"Of course. Let us know when you get back if everyone's okay," said Andromeda.

"Will do."

Just then, Tonks the younger ran out of building blocks. Knocking the entire tower to the ground, she looked up to her dad, eyes shining. He smiled at her and ruffled her hair. "Now we get to build it all again," he whispered so as not to disrupt the adult conversation, starting her off with a few blocks before letting her go on alone.