trANTsferred, part 2

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. Like we're tech prodigies," I said sarcastically.

"I know! I'll call tech support," Chyna decided. She quickly hung up the phone. "When is Cindy going to have that baby already?"

"Maybe we can pry open the doors!" Fletcher realized.

We got the doors open after a bit of pushing. I noticed the small sliver of light between one space and the floor a few feet below us. I wondered how far down it would go. Then again, just looking down made me want to vomit.

"Great. We're stuck between floors," Chyna stated.

"What's down there?" Olive asked.

"I think that's the top secret R&B lab," Fletcher said.

"It's an R&D lab, not an R&B lab," Olive corrected him. "Scientists don't go in there to make funky soul music."

"I wish it were an R&B lab. If I don't record this song tonight, I'm out of here," Chyna said.

"Well... Looks like this is the only way out of the Ant Farm," I said.

"It's pretty dark in there. How long a fall do you think it is?" Chyna asked.

"We should drop something in and listen to how long it takes to hit the ground," Fletcher suggested.

I took my bangle off my wrist. It made a pretty loud sound when it hit the ground. I dropped it and listened. I was so glad I was good at physics. A rough estimate would do the trick.

"It's about eight feet," Olive and I decided.

~~~

"Okay. There must be some way to the music studio without using the roomavator. So, let's look for a roomscalator, or a staircaseatron, or even a rope-a-ladder," Chyna suggested.

"You mean a rope ladder?" Olive asked.

"When you say it like that, it doesn't sound high tech at all," Chyna argued. "Someone's coming, hide!"

"Have you tried taking out the battery?" Mr. Grundy.

"How are we going to get past him?" Olive hissed.

"We can make him throw up!" Chyna decided, looking at the weapon Fletcher had in his hands.

"Quick, Fletcher, show him your face!" Olive taunted.

"Thank you for calling Z-Tech. Have a nice day." Chyna hit him with the gun. Mr. Grundy threw up in the trash can. We ran out of the room.

We finally got into the music room using a rope. I looked around, admiring the room. It was like Dad giving me a tablet while he was working. I would be on it for hours. I would be here for hours, too.

"Thank goodness that secret door led to the room where they keep the rope-a-ladders," Chyna said in relief. "Okay, so now I just need to lay down some tracks."

"Let's stand back and let Chyna do her thing. This is her chance at redemption," I reasoned.

The two nodded in agreement.

~~~

"Oh, looks like they got the roomavator fixed," Fletcher stated.

"Not that we know anything about it being broken," Chyna added. "Was it broken? I don't know. I have no idea. I haven't touched it."

"Well, well, well. Look who's here." Mr. Grundy stared at Chyna. "Cindy! She finally had her baby!"

Everyone clapped. "Ah, and also Chyna."

"Look, Mr. Grundy, I know I didn't get into this school," Chyna admitted.

Everyone gasped. "What? Chyna didn't get in? That's terrible! I feel so bad for you!"

Chyna rolled her eyes. "Please, Mr. Grundy, just give me another chance. I recorded a new version of my audition song, and I'm begging you to let me play it for you."

"Don't bother." Mr. Grundy walked over to one monitor.

"She deserves to be here more than anyone!" I argued.

"She's the most talented person I know!" Olive agreed.

"And she knows Li'l Weezy!" Chyna added.

"I meant, don't bother because I've already seen the video," Mr. Grundy explained.

"I don't think I've made a video yet," Chyna said, confused.

"Yes, you have," Mr. Grundy corrected her. "This building houses one of the world's largest technology companies. Did it not occur to you when you were sneaking around that we might have security surveillance?"

"You caught us on camera?" Olive asked sheepishly.

"Actually, dozens of cameras. We can watch it on the Super Mega Jumbo Ultra Mazi Z-Phone Plus Extreme."

Chyna's song played in the background. Fletcher, Olive, and I were sitting on the couch in the background. Chyna sounded amazing. Everyone cheered for the girl at the end. As they should.

"That was incredible," Mr. Grundy admitted. "The work of a true prodigy."

"So I'm in? You'll let me in the school?" Chyna questioned.

"No." Chyna's smile fell. "Sorry. I told you already, I picked a different musical prodigy."

"Seriously? You picked Lexi over Chyna?" Fletcher snapped.

"Lexi? Lexi's a math prodigy," Mr. Grundy explained.

"He means I'm good with numbers. Musical numbers. Because I'm a musical prodigy," Lexi lied. "Yeah, let's move on."

"What are you talking about?" Chyna questioned.

"Lexi came in to audition-"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. If they're going to find out anyway, at least let me talk about myself," Lexi said. "I came into the audition wearing a beautiful red dress... You do enough shopping, you get good with numbers."

"So you are one of us!" Angus realized. "You're a math nerd."

"So, if Lexi's not the musical prodigy, then who is?" Chyna questioned.

"Uh... My nephew, Zev," Mr. Grundy admitted

"And what instrument does he play?" I asked.

"Guitar," Mr. Grundy said.

"Air guitar," Fletcher snorted, noticing the teenager jumping around.

"You own the school, Mr. Grundy. Nobody said you can have just one prodigy of each talent," I argued.

"That is true." Mr. Grundy smiled. "I don't need to choose only one type of each prodigy. Oh, why did I turn away all those other talented bee talkers? Chyna, welcome to the program!"

We hugged her happily. Everyone clapped. Even Lexi was smiling. Fletcher kept his arm around me when the moment was over. I smiled at him, knowing we definitely won. We got our best friend.

"Thank you so much, Mr. Grundy? How can I repay you?" Chyna asked.

"You can't. I'm worth sixty-two billion dollars!" Mr. Grundy exclaimed.

~~~

"Okay, I didn't notice it then, but I noticed it with the whole video." Olive looked at me. "Why were you and Fletcher holding hands?"

I stared at her before walking toward the door. "Good night."