━━ 𝐄 𝐏𝐋𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐁𝐔𝐒 𝐔𝐍𝐔𝐌 - 𝐏𝟒 ━━

⚠️: (1) very brief mention of anxiety, (comedic) filler dialogue is not my strong suit unless i have a purpose for it, sassy will, protective Max, Jonathan being a good bro, Lucas and Y/n being iconic as usual, and a little bit of a third-wall break from me calling out the show's logic 😀 why this is my breaking point? idk

📝: let us have some lumax... as a ✨️treat✨️

❓️: have you checked the cast chapter for Cosmic 4 in while? Perhaps it's worth keeping a close eye on 👀

🔑: b/f = breakfast food (if you don't eat breakfast, it can be anything really)

||𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕||
-MINUTES EARLIER-

"Will, you know you can--," Mike sighed with a wince, no doubt trying to be the friend he was last year. Almost like he had forgotten how to be. "you can be honest with me about this stuff. I get it, man. I do. What you went through last year was... scary. It was really scary,"

Looking up from my last few bites of cereal and peeking through the window I barely make out the two of them sitting on the porch together. From what I can see, which isn't very much, the air is still very much tense. I can only see the back of her head as she sits to the left of Mike, but as he looks at her... I don't know, he almost looks shocked. Relieved? I can't very well make it out when the two of them keep turning away, but it's likely for the best. They need their privacy.

"I appreciate that, Mike." A passing glimpse of my old friend makes me smile, but I can't bring myself to all the way. Not with all the dangers we're still facing.

I take another bite, my attention wandering to the living room where the others are still gathered. Jonathan and Nancy are pretty much just bouncing theories back and forth between themselves now, and Lucas and Max have grown aware of the two missing party members out on the porch.

"She's not giving up anytime soon, is she?" Mike asked, his voice lost farther away in guilt than his eyes as he watched her pace.

Any instinct I'd normally have to get protective doesn't come. It's clear, for once in a long time, there's no ill intent. Just a glimpse of the old Mike; the one who, Y/n had told me of, had given Dustin a certain best friend speech all that time ago.

"Can you blame her?"

I know for certain I'm not the only one who misses how things used to be. It's something that comes up often, whether in stolen moments or subtle glances. Lucas, Dustin, and I most of all, had been there for the most tight-knit of days back in elementary school. But no matter how much we try and intervene, it's been proven many times over this is something only they can fix.

Looking back out, I see Y/n setting down her comm on the steps at her feet. Mike is watching her carefully. He looks the most vulnerable I think I can ever remember seeing him. Probably since that night with the Mind Flayer.

I shake my head of the thought and creeping blush and return to my cereal. I really need to give them privacy.

Nothing about their friendship stands a chance if I'm breathing down their neck. I should know this by now, it's happened before. Granted, things were never this bad in fifth grade-- shoot! A couple of pieces tumble off my spoon as I try to eat them, my head ducking after them in reflex but it does nothing. I feel myself frown instinctually as they fall back into the milk with a small plop and looking up at the others I'm glad to see no one saw. But they were starting to break off from each other and mill about.