"I know," Tian said. "He already said that he would step down as captain within the year. I know how much it hurts him to do so, but I can't help but be a little excited to have him back."

"You should be," Meiling said. "Don't feel bad. He's your father. He should be by your side."

"True," Tian said. "He's not the young captain he used to be either. I just don't want a serious injury to be how he comes home, you know?"

"Not more than you, I'm sure," Meiling said. She gazed out beyond the fence lining the garden to see all the other villagers out and about, working their farms and setting up elaborate decorations. Meiling smiled and went back to her duties. "Just glad I can help."

"You really are," Tian sighed. "I haven't even gotten around to setting up for the festival tonight." Tian carried out of her home a handful of paper lanterns that she began setting up atop stakes down by the edge of the fence. "I have no idea how I'm going to finish everything in time."

"That's what I'm here for," said Meiling.

"You're already doing so much with providing entertainment for the thing tonight," Tian replied. "Seems almost selfish to ask for more."

"Then don't ask," said Meiling. "You're not asking. I'm here and willing to help out any way I can." Tian managed a relieved sigh.

"I really appreciate it, Meiling. You do so much. I can't thank you enough."

"Don't worry about it," Meiling said, still rinsing off cabbages. "That's what I'm here for."

"You sure you're okay to do the... thing tonight?" Tian asked. "It's going to be a lot of people, you know." Meiling chuckled.

"Of course," Meiling said. "That's also what I'm here for."

"But you think you can handle it?"

"You've seen what I can handle, Ti," Meiling said. "I'm sure it won't be too much worse than what your father puts me through."

"Than what you volunteer for," Tian corrected her. "He just does his job." Meiling laughed.

"Sure, sure," she said. Meiling stood up to stretch her back. She gazed out across the village, watching the glow of the sun bloom out from behind neighboring woods. The wind blew her cherrywood hair out of her face. Tian glanced over to her. She caught Meiling with an idle smile and made one herself.

"Where's Lee this morning?" Tian asked. Meiling looked back. "It's rare to see you without her tagging along."

"Had some matters to attend to," Meiling said. "That's all she said. I didn't pry, not my business." Meiling lips were still curled. Her stare was distant, her eyes glimmering in the rising sun.

"You two have become close, huh?" Tian asked. "More than I've seen you get close with anyone." Meiling chuckled. She ran her fingers through her hair.

"Jealous?" Meiling said through a joking chuckle. Tian's expression remained firm.

"I'm serious," she said. Tian stopped with her work and leaned in to address Meiling directly. "You feel for her, don't you?" Meiling's face grew long with thought. She sat back down next to the stream, letting the water brush past her fingertips.

"I don't know," Meiling said. "She's... special... I've never felt this way about anyone..."

"Did something happen?" Tian asked. Meiling blinked and paused, thinking about the night before. Her face became flushed. The memories made her heart race. It all slowly came back into her forethought. The sensations. The words. The embrace of an affection she had never felt before. It played over in her mind like a dream she would never forget.