y/n then walked back to her living room, sitting down in front of the box again. jean followed behind, sitting down next to her. he took hold of the knife, and finished opening up the box. "what's even in this box, how'd you cut your finger on it?"

y/n didn't answer him, as she simply waited until he finished opening it. once he did, y/n peered inside the package, dull eyes widening.

jean furrowed a brow at what was inside. "eh? what's this?"

an eleven-year-old y/n was in her own room, cleaning her face from the tears that were just shed.

she had just gotten out of an argument with her parents, that since she wanted to stop doing sports, she should play an instrument.

a feminine one.

it was so messed up, but she couldn't do anything against their words, as she was a mere child. she was given a violin, as they wanted her to play an instrument.

though, once she began to get better at violin, she realised that her parents were being a sarcastic. they believed that once y/n had understood how hard it was to play an instrument, she'd go back to sports. i mean, they gave her one of the hardest instruments to master for fucks sake, she was eventually bound to give up.

they grew annoyed at the sound of the music she played through her violin, irked at how she was actually beginning to get better at it. 

y/n continued playing the violin, just for the sake of annoying her parents.

but eventually, they began to embrace it. they complimented her, congratulating her on how well she was doing. hell, they even put her in competitions because she was getting better.

this was when y/n knew she needed a different instrument. she like the concept of music, and through them, she'd be able to irritate her parents.

it was the least she could do, as they annoyed her too.

y/n stopped left her violin back in (home country) because she wanted to leave the thought of her parents there. she wanted to leave majority of the things that reminded her of them back in her previous home, in hopes that she would be able to live her high school life in japan stress free.

"it's a violin case." the girl answered jean's question. "it' my violin, from when i was younger." 

jean widened his eyes. "ehh??! you played violin?!?"

she nodded. "to spite my parents, yes. and it worked, however, once they realised i was getting better at it, they started liking it as well, which only annoyed me."

"is that why you started the drums and bass?" jean asked softly. 

staying quiet at first, she nodded. "yeah."

despite having known her for a year, jean managed to to know the girl really well. from her favourite foods, to her least favourite scent, he knew her like the back of his hand. i mean, they were best friends after all (at least that's what he continued to tell himself).

right now, she could tell that she wasn't in any sad, scared, or anxious emotion. in fact, she was somewhat annoyed. he didn't know why, maybe it was because her parents decided to acknowledge her after a year, but he knew that she wasn't scared. 

he knew that she was strong, both inside and out. it's one of the things he loved about her.

"how the hell did they find this..." the girl muttered, annoyance evident in her tone. she took the violin case out of the package, finding a white envelope on the bottom. "i swear i hid this really well..." 

she opened the envelope, reading it's contents. 

dearest y/n,

(she gagged when she read dearest. it was so fake)

one of our maids had been cleaning your room for its monthly clean up, and had mentioned she had found a violin case in the depths of you bookshelf. 

me and your father are highly disappointed that you have left your precious instrument here in our abode. we were under the impression that you had brought it with you upon leaving for japan. though it turns out we were wrong.

we would like you to continue practicing this instrument, as you had become a master in it. your talent in this instrument is absolutely outstanding, and we would want you to continue playing it.

hope all is well. stay safe.

we love you.

(she gagged again)

lots of love,

your parents

she didn't know how to feel upon finishing that letter. was she supposed to get mad? despite just reading their handwriting, she could literally see the fakeness emitting from it. they literally just contacted her after a year, all to give back her violin.

groaning, she fell on her back, eyes shutting. she leaned onto her couch tiredly, letting the paper crinkle upon her grip. "i hate the both of them so much, why bother sending me a letter one year later, just to send me this!? fucking dolores and kisaki... they don't even care about me..."

(y/n's parents here will be named, as i don't actually want to curse your own parents. names taken from kisaki from tkr and dolores from hp cause i dislike the both of their characters🤪)

jean chuckled softly at her behaviour. he gently snaked his arm around her waist, bringing her close to his chest. he held her softly, softly caressing her hair. y/n let him embrace her, wrapping her own arms around his torso. "do you want me to take the violin from you? so that it doesn't remind you of them?"

he could feel her shake her head. "no... it's okay... i guess it won't hurt to play the violin again, i did like the type of the type of timbre it created, so it won't hurt to touch it..."

he hummed, "whatever you're comfortable with. if anything is ever troubling you, don't be afraid to tell me, alright?"

she nodded again. "i will, thanks jean."

"anything for you, y/n..."

the two were then left into a comforting peace, letting the silence embrace the both of them. until the boy's phone rang. not even reading the caller id as he was too comfortable in y/n's hold, he answered it. 

"WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU TWO? WE'E BEEN WAITING FOR AN HOUR NOW!?"