"Where are we going, Lumi?" Mikey asked, head pillowed by his arms as he looked out the window.

"To someone I treasure..." That was all Illumi said, eyes focused on the road.

Another ten minutes were spent in silence before a small hobble of a village was seen. Illumi pulled into it, parking on the street near a place that looked like a run-down shack. He stepped out and Draken and Mikey followed. An easy gait led him to the shack and blew open the door with no problem.

"Aye old man! You here? It's your favourite~" Illumi called out playfully.

"Hah?" A gravelly voice said in return. "Don't look like Takuya is here."

Illumi stopped in his place. "Now normally I'd fight you on that but it's too correct. Takuya is the winner. Anyways, food please!"

"Eh? Brat go outside and tell me what the sign above the door says." The old man said with a dangerous voice.

"It says 'Saki Saki, eat'?" Illumi said questionly.

"Exactly," The old man said before throwing the hand towel at Illumi. "Not St Vincent de fucking Paul! This ain't a charity."

"But old man~" Illumi whined, for once looking like an actual child. "I'm hungry." He threw himself to drape over a very amused Mikey by his side. "I'm fading away with hunger."

"No fear you're fading away," The old man bustled around the tiny shack that kept an assortment of cook utensils.

"Are you calling me fat?!" Illumi gasped in offense, straightening up.

"You said it not me," Was all he got in return completely unimpressed.

"Draken he's being mean to me," Illumi whined pouting, acting so unlike his usual self it was mesmerising to see and the two blonds were loving it.

"There there, Lumi." Draken said, patting black locks.

Mikey twisted his arms around the small of Illumi's waist not letting an opportunity pass by. "We still love you, either way, Lumi~"

"I'm glad ye love me, unlike a certain someone," Illumi threw a look at the other occupant of the shack.

"...brat."

"So cruel!"

Regardless of his words, the old man placed three bowls of steaming ramen in front of the boys. Illumi all but squealed and dove for the food eagerly taking a bowl and some chopsticks ripping the paper covering and digging in right where he stood. There were no chairs but that didn't seem to worry him.

Draken and Mikey were a little slower in taking the food but once they tried it they were wolfing it down just as quick as their companion. The room was quiet except for the sounds of them eating and the old man putting away some utensils.

Once they were done Illumi's whole demeanor was softer and pliant, the old man looked at him fondly patting the boy's hand as he handed back the bowl.

"I'm glad you're well, Mimi."

"Same to you, Otou-san."

They had to clean up the floor after Mikey and Draken spit out half their broth in surprise.

Thankfully they didn't ask questions regarding the familial acknowledgment between the two but did eye them a bit differently and tried to be extra likable to the old man.

The old man loves to boast about a younger Illumi, how even back at barely double digits he had all the kids in the village following after him like lost puppies even with the god-awful haircut.

"How bad are we talking here?" Mikey asked with far too much glee in his voice.

"Like," Illumi sighed. "Borderline bowl cut..."

The blonds howled in laughter at the imagined image.

"Please, pl-please tell me there are pictures." Draken pleads between gasping for air.

"Thankfully, very little," Illumi mumbles while sipping some water. He made sure those photos would never see the light of day again. Such a traumatizing time in his life, god what would Zana say right now if he saw him? Illumi can already hear the jeering.

"We need to find those, Kenchin." Mikey declared like Illumi wasn't standing right next to him.

They left with full bellies and some with a little more blackmail material but overall happy.

The ride back was just as quiet only broken by Mikey, "Otou-san?"

Illumi let the question linger for a few seconds.

"My real father is never really around, nor my mother. I met Otou-san when I was eight and he was rude, and grumpy but always paid attention to me so naturally I practically forced him to become my family. He who I hold no blood with is my family not those who bore me."

The red from street lights illuminated Illumi in a pained beauty.

"Family to me is choice."