chapter 14: the cat cavern

Start from the beginning

They must still be in the cavern, because the dark stone walls occasionally tremble lightly and the rushing of the ocean can be faintly heard even through the thick rock. It's somehow homey despite this, though, with two squat cabinets pushed against the walls, and a low table in the center of the room. Kuroo's lantern sends a soft light bouncing through the room, accompanied by tall candles dripping with wax.

Before Bokuto can finish absorbing the atmosphere, Kuroo pushes a woven basket across the table towards him.

"This," He says. "Is for you."

Bokuto gingerly pulls the basket closer, lifting the lid to inspect the contents.

Inside, resting atop the savory treats, lies a crumpled piece of paper. On one side is a small note in lazy, uneven characters, wishing Bokuto to feel better soon and telling him to stop by before he leaves - promising that if he does he'll get another packed lunch and some snacks for the journey. The note is signed Osamu, the signature cramped so close to the corner of the page it must have been an afterthought.

On the other side is a message with rushed, blocky characters, exclaiming that Bokuto better take care of himself or else he'll get kicked in the shin. The name Atsumu is signed at the bottom with flourish (almost bigger than the note itself) along with a nearly indecipherable doodle of what looks like an owl and a fox.

It's really an awful drawing. The heads are basically ovals and the only way Bokuto can tell the other figure is an owl and not another fox is the strange protrusions erupting from its boxy body that he assumes are wings.

It's truly horrible. Bokuto loves it.

Nestled into the box is a row of neat, streaming okaka onigiri, crisp seaweed neatly layered over fluffy rice. The gentle scent rising from the basket promises the salty fish filling. Bokuto's appetite comes flooding back, and he ravenously takes a bite.

Kuroo watches him eat, relaxing as Bokuto devours onigiri after onigiri.

"Now, what's all this about making a katana?"

Bokuto swallows his food.

"Akiko-san says I should make a katana to get another wish," He answers between bites.

"Another katana?" Kuroo muses, lips curling downward at the edges. "That's weird."

"Another?" Bokuto tilts his head curiously.

Although it could be the flickering light of the candle, Bokuto could swear that Kuroo's face gets slightly flushed as the cat spirit considers this question.

"It's, uh," He coughs. "It's not my place to say. I'm sure the Miyas would love to fill you in if you ask them about it. Now eat your food!"

"I am eating!" Bokuto protests, pointedly taking another huge bite of the onigiri. "And I want to hear more about the katana!"

"If you can still talk, you're not eating enough!" Kuroo shoots back, waving a peach at him menacingly.

Bokuto tries to retaliate, but his mouth is full. So he settles for chucking a chopstick at Kuroo's head, then ducking as a peach narrowly misses his shoulder. It hits the wall behind him with a sticky-sounding squish. Bokuto moves forward to try to get at least one good hit, when-

"Enough," Mumbles a new voice, effectively slicing through their argument.

The response is immediate. All is quiet except for the squelching sound the peach makes as it slides down the wall.

"You can talk and eat at the same time," it says. "Just please. Please stop shouting."

As Kuroo settles down, Bokuto leans over curiously to get a glimpse of the speaker.