Ethereal Starlight Ballade

Start from the beginning

As if compelled by an invisible call, Bruno's actors solemnly stacked their hands in a chaotic tangle of fingers. As they breathed close together, the air sparkled with anticipation. Their eyes clung to Bruno, waiting for his words to commence the play.

Bruno Bruno grinned, determination steadying his gaze. "Light it up."

Bruno's party of teenagers and young adults exploded into whoops and cheers. Bruno's cheeks glowed with pride. Suddenly, he struck a match, pushing it against the candle wick. A red flame burst into color.

Even though your father and Sebastian had used the candle sparingly, the molten stump had burned dangerously low. How much time does our miracle have left? You'd be surprised if the dreary, gray lump lasted for even five minutes more. Inexplicably, you felt a jab of disappointed sadness.

Then there will be nothing left of our Encanto.

"You're up," Bruno gently prompted, crossing his fingers for you with a shy smile. "Light it up, (y/n). They'll love you."

Extending onto the toes of your shiny black shoes, you scissored your legs through the thick air, pushing yourself higher with your free hand.

A gust of wind rustled your hair, and you relaxed into its smooth current. Weightlessly, you drifted into the low, dying sunset light, rising above the audience.

Excited chatter burst throughout the audience, chased by wild applause. Outlined by an ethereal halo of light, the appearance of your flying, golden persona must have awed the audience.

Thanks, Mirabel. You silently thanked, grateful for her talent to transform you to a breathtaking creature that belonged among the burning embers of the sun.

Shimmering flecks of glitter cascaded onto the audience, magical rain. You scooped handfuls of synthesized stardust from your pockets to drizzle overhead. An appreciative hush breathed through the crowd. Even Alma dipped her grayed head approvingly.

Shakily, your fingers grazed over the cold steel of the guitar strings. With a rattly breath, you plucked the first string, vibrating a handsome, rich tone throughout the sunset night. You began to sing.

My shoulders are restless from sitting so still, fairy dust settled on my window sill
and through that window's a strawberry sky
lace up my wings, i'm ready to fly

As your nerves softened, the words to the song Bruno had written for your part spilled from your mouth, liquid song.

I grew up in a little home town
these roads know my feet, but it's still the ground
I'll catch the next sunset, and swim in the light
lace up my wings, i'm ready to fly

The echoey acoustics of the theatre spun your voice into glistening silk. Strumming the guitar lightly, you swept above the audience.

Hello, little birds,
flitting fast away,
where do you go
'cause I know I can't stay
Lace up my wings, i'm ready to fly
A wish in my pocket to toss in the sky

From below, Mirabel loosely smiled as she caught your eye, wearing a wonderstruck expression. You look beautiful, Julieta mouthed from beside her daughter.

I braided feathers through my hair
Found a white angel dress to wear
If I find someone to hold my hand
Will they soar with me or will I land

Sprinkled in shivers and silver stars,
If I trip on Venus and crack my heart
The swirls of the galaxy will hold me while I cry,
so lace up my wings, i'm ready fly

The audience was yours. Sweet adrenaline coursed through you as you twirled in the wind.

Hello, little stars,
singing far away
Out there seems hard,
But I know I can't stay
Lace up my wings, i'm ready to fly
A wish in my pocket to toss to-

Your breath died, chopping off your words with a startled squeak. There. By the front row. There he is.

Camilo sat, cross-legged in the grass. The dim evening light reflected on his face. His green eyes captured you with a confused, admiring smile.

Like magic, the cool night gently clicked into perfection. Canilo was awake. For real. And you'd never let him go again.

I'll travel the clouds,
and when i'm done, i'll bathe in the moonlight and die with the sun
Wanderlust gazing from the back porch
adventure is out there, like never before

Everyone shone, watching you. But your eyes glowed only for Camilo. Even in the packed field, your voice sang for him alone.

Camilo grinned, throwing his head back to gaze at you. His hair flopped backward.

kick off your shoes, barefoot in the grass
jump all alone, and don't look back

hello to the wind, can I catch a ride
I've wild hair, and a heart that's light
Don't you miss me, try not to cry
Run to the backyard, look up at the sky,
I've laced up my wings, away i'll fly
A wish in my pocket to toss to the sky

The final, sweet note drifted away like a cloud. After a surreal, enraptured pause, cheers and clapping lauded your song. Flushed and laughing, your toes gracefully lighted on the ground. Your shoes sunk into the grass heavily, indicating that Bruno had blown out the candle.

"Hey," you breathlessly beamed down at Camilo. He deliberately raised himself to his feet, smirking as his height towered over you.

"Hey, señorita. You were good," Camilo chuckled, plucking a single yellow forsythia from your hair.

"Hey, put that back," you jokingly complained, rolling your eyes. "Mirabel's gonna kill me if I mess up her costume."

"Here, let me put it back," Camilo smoothly agreed. His thumb and pointer finger threaded the flower through your hair while the heel of his hand warmly steadied against your face. A happy shiver rustled through you at his touch.

But there was something off with Camilo's coy smirk. With the flirtatious way his hand slid down to your jawline. With the amused, deliberate way his eyes studied your face as he touched you, as if testing your boundaries.

His next words pulled from your heart like a long, serrated thorn.

"Tell me your name, señorita."