Your Jar of Hearts

HEY<3 people of wattpad and beyond!! im relatively new to the sight, but i feel compelled to write a story of mine. I originally had this on the app High School Hero. the story was and is madly popular. i love writing like this where people can see it. so please read this and let me know what you think:)

Chapter 1

I wasn't surprised. Not in the slightest. A big, fat '65%' was written in red Sharpie, a little dried out, on the test. Did i care? no. Was I surprised? No, again. Am I going to learn something? Never. I'm used to it. why the teachers choose not to be is their own problem. Not mine.

Just for fun, I decided to take a quick glance at Lina's paper. 95%. Nice job, Fleinstein. No joke... That's her name. Imagine THAT on the playground in Kindergarten. Probably still funner than what they called me.

The bell rang. I was the first out of my seat, through the door, to my locker. My Converse screeched in the hallway on the cheap linoleum.  I spotted Kennedy by her locker, next to mine, whick was way too close to the men's bathroom to be safe to go near without a gas mask or other means of bodily protection. Kennedy was one of the only people on the planet who I could half relate to... Let's just say, im different. Not emo, scene, dark, bubbly, bright, nerdy, colorful, etc... But more my own. A mixture of all of those. I was my own stereotype, but to most people, I was the short, skinny, kind-of-pretty girl that went along with the seasons and the scenery..

"Hey Daph. New guy in calculus. Super hot and foreign. But too bad you skipped, huh?" Kennedy said, her blue eyes gliitering. Her long, strawberry blonde hair laid relaxed at her shoulder, and her tone was troubled, yet still mellow. She was almost always melloew, except for when Zach was with us. I guess you could say that Kennedy was a familliar stereotype. Hippie. Peacemaker. Head in the clouds, dreamer. But gorgeous all the same. She was tall and built like a model or a Victoria's Secret Angel. The blonde hair and blue eyes made us an even more unlikely paring of friends. But how can you say no to the only person in 4th grade who would share her glitter glue with you? You can't.; and thats why we'd been friends ever since then. It amazed me sometimes how little attention a girl as beuatiful as her got. It was almost maddening.

I'd decided to skip calculus today, which is why i was clueless about the new guy. i didnt care though; he was probably creepy anyways. I tend to skip calculus a lot. You'll find out if you keep reading for a while. You may have also noticed my name; Daph. It's not short for Daphne, but... Daffodil. My mom was into gardening around the time I was born. and we all know what happens when we have a stroke of brilliance like the name "Daffodil'...

"Good for him. Did you hear about Lina's party?" I bit my bottom lip and crossed my fingers at my sides.

"No, I-" she was cut off mid-sentence by the afternoon announcements. There was never anything much to those, just the usual useless banter from and over-peppy office assistant. After that, Kennedy was silent. I knew why. She hated talking about things like being left out or whatever it was. I, however, thought that you have who you have, what you have, and what you know, and that is all you need. She hated when I said intellectual stuff like that.  Zach hated it too.

"Daph, you know what we need?"

"No clue?" I said, popping a piece of cinnamon gum into my mouth. The spice got my creative juices flowing heavier.

"That's what i thought. And me neither. But there can't be one reason why we're not being invited into more places or groups. It's not right. And it just can't be healthy. But you probably know the most about healthy..."  Her blouse crinkled on her shoulders when she leaned onto the forest green lockers. Everything about this school was plain; the kids, the teachers, the walls, the decor, the uniforms. Bah, even the word made me sick to the stomach. Uniforms and Daffodil don't mix. I don't like to be restrained. I hated when Kenndedy tried to drag me into things like that, situations in which i just don't care. I came up with an answer that even she could interpret most of.

"We're different. Mom always used to say that God made everybody the exact same way he made me. No better or worse. And i used to tell her to try telling other kids that. And those shallow morons cant get their heads far enought out of you-know-where in order to let people with half a brain like you and I in.'

"True." Why did people say " True." when they can't fathom what you're talking about? Oh, the mysteries of mankind. Sad, sad mankind.

I cut off the conversation there because I started to get ideas that I wanted to get down on paper before I lost them.

"Bye, Ken."

'Bye."

And bye, it was.