Seducing My Fiancé: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Gayle folds his arms and reclines as though he didn't jostle reality as we knew it. I put down my glass and iron the tablecloth with my hands. Taking stock of my surroundings, I confirm I'm not in a dream... or a nightmare. The latter is still up for debate.

I break my silence, stuttering. "Y-you said this was about business."

"Yes, special business."

He sparks an anger I can't swallow easy. "How do you know I'm not involved with anyone?"

"Are you?" He furrows the skin on his forehead and feigns curiosity.

Wow. He already knows the answer. The amusement sparkling in his eye gives me the impression he likes to play with his food. I feel the frustration tightening my chest.

Gayle monitors my energy. "Don't panic, Angela, especially when the media is waiting for us outside."

"Us?" I whisper. "What's going on?"

Gayle shifts his attention to the tall windows. Ditching his mischievous poker face, he's out of character for a moment. "Both of us are in trouble."

Shit. What does he know?

I fold my arms. "I don't know what you're talking about–"

"Angela, breathe."

I inhale, and my right leg shakes under the table. His keen awareness of me feels invasive. I coach myself down from my fair but unknown fear. What is he after?

He raises his hands. "I promise it won't sound as crazy if you just hear me out."

"Doesn't look like I have much of a choice, do I?"

"You always have options, Angela."

I take another slither of breath and prepare my question. "What happens if I get up and leave right now?"

"First, the photographers will capture you leaving the Skylight Lounge. Second, the headlines would flirt with you rejecting me amidst my floral affections. Last, between us, we'll still be on January Carden's chopping block."

I feel a sickness tighten inside. "Paparazzi is outside?"

"Yes. I know, and I'm sorry Angela."

"Sorry?" I say. "You said I have options, but all of them lead to a worse outcome for me!"

"No."

"Yes." I rest my hands on the table and walk him through my understanding. "I'll be the horrible bitch who turns down a proposal from a West End playboy and I'll be responsible for the series of public heartbreaks you commit afterwards... or, in your wild option, I'm the desperate woman latching onto a man to save me. Either route I take, you've already compromised my privacy, right?"

He lowers his eyes with a hint of shame. "Angela."

I clamp my teeth together, fighting the stinging sensation around my nose. This is a trap. "I'm a fool believing today could be a break from the fake bullshit."

"It is. It can be."

Gayle reaches across the table and holds my hand. I don't pull away as I should. Thrumming with confusion, I wonder how he can destabilize and anchor me at the same time? I don't want to be here, but if I go, I'll be leaving with less than I already had before walking into the lounge. Gayle Fox isn't a friend, but I sense the threat of a substantial loss if I flee now. A loss of what, I don't know.

Gayle focuses on the locket rolling in my free hand. "Please, let me explain."

I give a nervy shrug. "Okay?"