Chapter 7: The final day

Mini chapter!

Chapter song: Ellie remembers-ice age 2 soundtrack

Kayto runs through the dry grasslands, fast enough for the grass to slice at her and sting. She has to get back. She wouldn't know what to do with herself if Kiara died. Died because of her stupid impatient actions. The grazing animals part out of her way frightened from the fast approaching lioness. As she approaches pride rock, she can hear the echoes of pain coming from the den. Kayto stumbles up the rock as fast as she can, entering to see Kiara laying on a flat stone surrounded by Tiifu and Zuri. Kayto has no problem shoving the two out of the way to see her friend. Kiara is huffing as hard as Kayto and grimacing loudly in pain. "Kiara! Are you ok??" Kayto coughed. ​​"They're coming...." Kiara groaned. Tiifu and Zuri remain frozen. "Where's Rafiki?? Where's Kovu??" Kayto yells at them.

"Kovu and the royal family are gone today...and we're like...supposed to...help." Zuri croaks. "WELL YOU AREN'T DOING ANYTHING USEFUL ARE YOU? GET RAFIKI. NOW." Kayto screams at the duo. They yelp and run off. Kayto turns to Kiara. "Why did you make them leave??" Kiara asks, panicked."I can't be the one to get Rafiki. They were also doing no favors gawking at you." Kayto explains, locating a gourd of water and moss. She places it on Kiaras head. "And what makes YOU any better??" Kiara yells out in pain. "I've known how to do this since I was a cub. My mother was a midwife, you know, before your father-" 

"I GET IT. I KNOW." Kiara interrupts angry. She roars out of reaction to this horrifying experience. "All you need to do right now is push." Kayto states as if Kiara didn't know what she signed up for. Kayto sits next to Kiara watching her intently. "Kayto......" Kiara cries, tears swelling and pouring out. "....Can you hold my paw...?" Kayto snaps out of an intense watch. "Uh yeah. Sure." Her large paw meets with Kiara's small, soft and maintained paw. She hopes she's doing everything right. Rafiki had still not arrived yet.

In no time at all, Kiara relaxed her grip and small meows could be heard. She turns to her rear and carries out two tiny cubs: a dark brown one and a tan one. They snuggle up to Kiara's protruding belly and sleep. Kayto hadn't seen this part before. She was always shooed away by Apiza to let the mother have time alone with her babies. Kiara looks at them with so much love, it makes Kayto feel guilty. Kovu should have been here. The whole royal family should have been here. Instead, it's her. The one that will have to kill these cubs' grandfather and break their mothers heart. The one that initiated this experience out of her own anger and impatience. Kayto looks down and begins to walk back to her cage. "Don't you want to see them?" Kiara asks. Kayto stops and hesitantly looks towards the cubs worried. Kayto takes the invitation and creeps up to them. The two cubs breathe microscopically in Kiara's warmth. Kayto fixates on their smallness, watching with big eyes as if she was a cub again. "...Have you named them?" Kayto asks, still in childlike wonder.

"The brown one, the oldest, Gozi after my brother, Kiongozi. And Kopan. After my other brother, Kopa." Kiara explains. Hearing Kopa's name made Kayto's stomach drop. "...You need to rest." Kayto states as she walks back to her cage. She pulls back an elephant rib and climbs inside. She picks a comfy spot of dirt and lays down facing the wall. She hears the rejoiced voices of Rafiki and the royal family as she drifts to sleep. Kayto is briefly awakened by a voice. 

"...Tomorrow?" Simba asks firmly for confirmation.

".....Tomorrow." Kayto replies, as she slips back into unconsciousness.

Final chapter soon....