trANTsferred, part 1

Start from the beginning

"So, what are you going to do to me?" Angus questioned, obviously scared.

"Well, I'd like to start... by shaking your hand. But I can't, because I'm on my private jet," Mr. Grundy explained. "I'm not flying anywhere. It's just very comfortable. So, what are you? Some sort of child prodigy?"

"Everyone in the A.N.T. Program's a prodigy," Chyna corrected him. "I'm a musician, Fletcher's an artist, Olive has an eidetic memory, (Y/n)'s a performer, and that kid rides a stationary bike!"

"You're in a special program for child prodigies?" Mr.Grundy said in disbelief. "I was a child prodigy."

"Yes, we know. Some of us labored through your book." Olive rolled her eyes.

"I've got to meet you guys in person and learn all about this A.N.T. program," Mr. Grundy said. "I'm on my way! Commandos, fall back! I love this app!"

The guys disappeared.

"Whew," Fletcher said in relief. "That was close." The hologram chair disappeared.

"Ha!"

~~~

"And here we have our stage, where our fine arts participants can show off their talents to the world!"

A spotlight fell, making me yelp in fright. I ran off the stage, almost falling into a hole in the stage, panting. I knew we were going to have some accidents, but I never expected Skidmore to potentially hurt some of my friends.

"Guys, take five!" I called.

"You don't have to tell me twice," Grayson replied, running off the stage.

~~~

"For my audition, I'll be dancing to Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy."

I danced to the song I knew too well. It was actually my first song for a performance. Mr. Grundy was grinning. I finished, posing like I would when I was with my group. Happiness ran through me.

"Fantastic!"

~~~

Fletcher ran up to me as I was getting off of the stage. He picked me up and hugged me tightly. I laughed, beaming, when he put me down. He probably got into the school too, no doubt.

"I got in!" Fletcher exclaimed, smiling brightly.

"I'm so happy for you!" I replied.

I didn't know what came over me. Maybe it was the serotonin. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. Or maybe it was the fact that I was scared I wouldn't get in and he would be gone for a while. No matter the reason, I felt soft lips on mine.

I didn't know who leaned in first. Probably him. We were kissing. And it felt so good. It felt like I was floating toward the sky, a lightheaded feeling filling me as the air got thinner. When we separated, I crashed to the ground, a pit dropping, my mind trickling back into reality.

"That was amazing," Fletcher breathed. "I'm sorry if this is the wrong time, but did you get in?"

"I can't check my email until I get home," I admitted.

It was softer and sweeter than the last. We were both smiling when we pulled away. I pulled him into a hug. The smell of his cologne lingered on his clothes as I laid my head on his shoulder. I was so happy.

~~~

Mr. Grundy and I walked in. I had two suitcases and a small tote bag with me.

"Hello, everyone. Welcome to the new Ant Farm, your home for the next four years! This state-of-the-art facility includes your new school, recreation facility, and living quarters. And by attending school here, there will be no limits to the accomplishments that you can achieve! All accomplishments become property of Z-Tech."

"Ow!"

"Sorry."

"That's okay."

Mr. Grundy did a double take. "Is that a talking duffel bag?"

Olive panicked. "Oh, yeah. It's the latest in luggage technology. You see, I also have a talking hip sack. People make fun of me, but I am one of the most convenient and secure places to store cash, identification documents, and other personal items. You said it, Sacky! Sacky..."

"Anyway, your new Ant Farm is the world's first roomavator. This entire room is in the center of the building. It moves up and down like an elevator, and also rotates like an elevator that rotates." He pushed a button. I could barely feel anything.

"Weird. It doesn't even feel like we're moving," Fletcher commented.

"Much like a houseboat, my dear boy," Angus added.

"That's because the roomavator employs inertial dampeners. And, because the Ant Farm is a roomavator, these doors can open into any room in the building." The doors opened. "The music room."

"Oh. You know who would love that?"

"Nobody," I quickly cut in, glaring at the bag. I knew Chyna was in there.

"Let's just see the next room." Olive pushed a few buttons. "Oh, careful. Some of the rooms in this building house sensitive, top-secret R&D facilities." The doors opened, revealing a man in a crib.

"What is he doing?" Angus questioned.

"Working on a mobile phone mobile," Mr. Grundy explained. "Cell phones for babies is a huge untapped market! Oh, of course, this project is still in its infancy." Mr. Grundy laughed. "We also have a fully equipped health club and spa." The elevator opened again. Lexi had cucumbers over her eyes.

"Oh, is this a tour?" Lexi asked. "I kind of already showed myself around." The doors closed.