Chapter Seventeen

Louis POV:

I pulled up to the curb of the skating rink and the second Victoria noticed I had arrived, she bolted out the door.

"I'm late, I know!" I apologized, pressing my palm to my forehead. The clock on my dashboard read 12:17. It was my first skating pick-up and I was already off to a bad start.

"No worries." She assured me, tossing her bag onto the floor in front of her and buckling her seatbelt.

"Who was that boy you were talking to in there? It didn't look like your partner." I questioned as I pulled back onto the road.

"His name's Jack. But, I'd rather not talk about him." Victoria picked at her nail polish.

"Okay, fair enough. So, I was late because I got a call from Marcus, our dickwad of a manager, and Gavin Ruback, one of our promotion representatives."

"What did they have to say?" She looked up.

"We talked about you, actually." I explained. "They wanted to set up an interview to essentially tell the world that you exist. Is that something you would be interested in?"

"I don't know... Why?"

"Well, they're afraid that if we don't come right out and tell everyone you're my daughter and the entire back story, people are going to make everything up themselves." I said carefully.

"I can understand that." Victoria nodded. "What would I have to do?"

"I'd like to have a press conference of sorts. Gavin told me he would set up a radio interview, but I'd prefer that he invite a few news companies the press room at his office building downtown. We could make the announcement, take a few questions, and be finished in twenty minutes. You and I, and your mum if she was interested, could go."

"I'd do that." She agreed. "If you could take me out of school to do it, that would be even better."

"Excellent." I murmured. "But just one more thing. Management is insisting that we... Stretch the truth a bit. They want us to conveniently leave out a few parts of the story."

"What parts?" Victoria's lip curled back.

"Just the more negative aspects..." I gulped. "Mostly the fact that I didn't know you existed for your entire life."

"That's lying, isn't it?" She narrowed her eyes.

"Umm..." I stuttered.

"You want me to lie?" Victoria clarified.

I took a deep breath. "Yes... But I completely get it if you don't want to do it anymore, I feel just as bad as you do about lying, but-"

"Okay, I'll do it." She cut me off. "But it's going to cost you."

"What's your fee?" I asked hesitantly.

"My laptop is Chris' old one, and it's really slow. Mum has refused to buy me a new one. So, get me a MacBook Pro, and I'll do your interview." Victoria shrugged.

"Consider it done."

~~~~

"Don't tell your mum about our little interview just yet. Once more details are worked out, I'll tell her alright?" I asked Victoria as I dropped her off at her house. After practice, we had gone back to my house for a few hours, but now it was time to return her home. Jennifer would be waiting for us.

"Mac Book Pro, don't forget." She grinned, opening the front door. I followed her inside to drop off her bag and say hello to Jen. "Mum! I'm home!" Victoria announced.

"I'm in the kitchen!" Jen called.

I dropped Victoria's things by the door and stepped down into the kitchen.

"How did it go?" Jen stopped stirring a pot on the stove and put down her spoon.

"It was great." Victoria beamed. "The concert was awesome, and you should see how big his house is."

"Yeah, it was fun." I chuckled. "She met the whole crew, and I took her to skate practice this morning."

"I'm glad everything worked out then." Jen cracked a smile. "It's nearly six o'clock, Louis, did you want to stay for dinner?"

"Oh no, I've got to get going. But if you and Chris wanted to go away on another weekend trip, I'd love to spend another weekend with Victoria."

"How about next weekend?" Victoria blurted.

"I believe I'm free then." I thought for a moment.

"I don't know about us, but we can check the calendar." Jen tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Why don't you check on that, and get back to me sometime this week?" I asked, pulling my keys from my jacket pocket and inching towards the door.

"Sounds good." Jen agreed, picking up her spoon and turning back to the stove.

"Bye Louis!" Victoria grinned.

"See you later darling."