I loved you, I swear I loved you

Wow, life has been. Life has been a whirlwind. Someone give me a hug. This week has been insane.

MICHAEL

"David," Michael mutters, heading home. "Goddammit, David."

The Frogs were kind to him, but the Frog brothers have informed Michael that in no uncertain terms do they believe his story. They're peering out at him from the doorway of the store, sharing their signature suspicious looks. It would be comical except that it's Michael they are suspicious of.

He brings the partially-scorched vampire comic books that won't sell home to Sam.

Sam has somehow gotten it into his mind that Michael's secret boyfriend set the fire, and while he promised not to tell, it eats at Michael. Is it that obvious?

"I just dropped my lighter," Michael groans around his spaghetti. "C'mon mom, not you too."

"He didn't do it on purpose," Sam defends Michael eagerly, and that's even worse because Sam is only doing it because he thinks it's romantic that Michael is covering for his boyfriend, and he 'wants to help.'

His mom shakes his head at him. "Michael, I'm worried about you," she informs him earnestly. "Did you break up with Star? You can talk to me, you know."

"Mom," Michael mutters. "I wouldn't set a store on fire just because I broke up with Star."

Sam nods knowingly. "But he did break up with Star."

"Sam."

"Oh, honey."

"It's nothing, Mom."

Lucy clasps her hands and looks over the table at him sternly, but he's over it by now. Eighteen and fucking so out of her realm out of reality. Eighteen and in love with an angry vampire arsonist who only wants him for– what, his hands and his mouth? "You look tired, Michael. Did you sleep alright? Do you want me to talk to her?"

"No, God, Mom. Do not talk to Star." He almost smiles. He is... mostly over it. But it's nice to have someone so worried about him.

Sam follows him after dinner. "So what really happened, Mikey?" Sam follows him into his room, and Michael doesn't have enough energy to stop him.

"You already asked." Michael closes the door behind Sam, who doesn't seem to care– he's staring behind Michael.

Michael turns... "Sam," he says, "please don't scream."

He forgot to change the sheets and the pillowcase. After wrapping himself up, going to find David in the pebbled cove, kissing and the fire... he had just collapsed and slept like a rock.

And then went straight to the Frogs' to tell them his version of the story, which took a very long time because of the brothers' extensive cross-examination. He might have even misremembered his story a couple of times because the boys exchanged dark looks several times.

The white sheets are stained with blood that has browned with sunlight and time, and it's all over the pillowcase in a thick puddle shape, smeared over the sheets like he's been involved with some sort of ritual sacrifice.

"Does this..." Sam makes a squeaky noise. "Have anything to do with that fire?"

"No, definitely not." Michael throws the blankets over the pillow. "Don't tell Mom, alright?"

Sam's eyes widen, and he grabs the Swiss Army knife on the top of Michael's bedside drawers. "Did someone stab you in the ne– wait, you're lying."