Chapter Four

Prince Alex

I lay down on my bed staring up at the ceiling, thinking. I'm trying to decide what I should write my next book about. I've written three already but I don't think any of them are good enough to publish... yet. I hear a knock at the door and a maid answers it. I look over and see my Father standing at the door. Great. He dismisses the maid and I sit up straight.

"Alex, the people are getting bored. It's been a week and you haven't sent home any of the twelve girls." His voice is cold.

I sigh. I know that they've been waiting for an elimination but this is my life not just someone else's Friday night entertainment. I have to be careful in my decisions. What if I accidentally send home the girl I'm supposed to be with? What if I already have?

"Father, I haven't even finished all the dates yet. I've been too busy with-"

He holds up his hand to silence me.

"You don't do anything of much importance. You have everything handed to you, Alex. You don't need to clean or cook. You don't even have to dress yourself. And as much as you may like to think that you have difficult responsibilities, you still are not yet a King. You have no idea how hard it is to run a country. The selection is your first priority from now on. I want you to stop writing those silly books of yours- you're heir to the throne, not an author! Now, get out there and show those girls you're actually interested in them being here."

I want to argue back but I dare not. That's entirely untrue. I have to attend meetings, make speeches, go to charity events and do loads of other time consuming things! Even if I didn't do all those things how am I supposed to date twelve girls in one week?

"There will be consequences if you don't do as you're told. Do you understand?" His voice is threatening.

I nod my head. I understand all too well.

He walks out of the room. I straighten my suit and shortly follow after him.

Prince Daniel

I walk into the common room thinking about my date with Destiny. I curse quietly for calling it a date. Of course it's not a date. She's here for Alex. Well, sort of. She said that she doesn't like him in that way. So maybe... Maybe she would consider me?

I shake my head at the thought and sit down.

"Are you alright? You look a bit worried."

I turn round and see a dark haired girl staring back at me. That must be Lady Indie. Alex told me about her, apparently their date didn't go too well.

"I'm fine, thanks. Just a bit distracted by work." I lie.

She nods her head and stares out the window. I look at her, thinking. Alex was right. She certainly is different. Indie was the first girl who caught my eye when I got to meet the selected. There's something about her that is just so captivating. I can't tell if it's the way she smiles or the way she dresses or something else but I can't seem to take my eyes off her.

"Why are you staring at me?" She asks suddenly.

How did she know? She hasn't even turned around! I quickly stop staring and look at the floor.

"I could see in the reflection of the window." She explains, smirking.

Smart girl. I never pay attention to reflections or bother to check what's behind me. I knew there was something different about her.

"How are you finding the selection so far then?" I ask her. I'm not really interested in her answer but I want to start conversation.

She sighs. "It's awful. For me, I mean. Alex and I just don't get on at all. The conversation is forced and we're so awkward together. He's a nice enough guy but he's not my type. I expect I'll be the next to be sent home."