"Or maybe she's been spying on us, which she can since we don't know what her face looks like," Darcy jokes to which Jane punches her in the shoulder. Actually, that wouldn't be so crazy at all, we don't know anything about her, she could be having a whole file on everything we've done over the past few weeks.

While silence falls and we're all thinking hard, soft footsteps sound in the hallway. I turn my head to Clint who doesn't seem to know where those footsteps are coming from either as Wanda and Bucky carefully rise from their seats. We remain silent, waiting for the footsteps to turn into a person as they come closer and closer.

We're all standing now with our eyes focused on the opening of the meeting room. And then, Golden Widow appears in our view. "Fighting position!" Tony shouts to which everyone is immediately ready to attack. "Wait! Don't do anything!" I yell as I stretch my arm to stop them and some confused faces turn to me.

"Nat, what are you doing?" Clint asks a little panicked before I calmly put my gun on the floor. "Look at her, she doesn't have any weapons on her and her legs can barely carry her," I say, nodding at Golden Widow who is still frozen in the opening. They all turn their heads to the woman and slowly move out of their fighting position once they realize that Golden Widow doesn't look as energetic as before.

"We're not going to fight you," I start speaking loudly to the woman. "Now take off your mask." Golden Widow slowly raises her trembling hands in the air next to her head and grabs the bottom of her mask. She pauses for a moment before letting her face become visible. Immediately the frown on my own face changes to a shocked look while my mouth drops open a bit.

Her eyes are red with bags underneath and cuts all over her face. "I'm not here to fight," her exhausted voice sounds as she tosses her mask to the floor. "I came to surrender." We all remain frozen for a moment, processing what just happened until Golden Widow begins to lose her balance and passes out on the floor.

It takes a moment for me to realize she can't hurt us anymore and I quickly run to her body. I drop to my knees next to her and hold my cheek above her mouth, checking if she's still breathing. "She's still alive," I confirm as I take her in my arms and turn to face the others. "What? She may be a criminal but she's in pain."

"Nat, we have no idea what she's capable of," Steve says, following me into the medical room where I lay her on a bed. "Yeah, but she's no use to us if she's dead," Jane says as she takes a flashlight from a drawer and shines the light into Golden Widow's eyes. Once Jane is done examining, I grab the unconscious body in my arms again and take her to a cell while the others are still following me.

"We need to think about this, Nat. We can't keep her here forever," Tony tries to talk some sense into me after which I turn and make eye contact with him. "Have you even looked at this girl? She's definitely no older than 22 and she didn't come here for nothing," I make my point clear before sitting in a chair and waiting for Golden Widow to wake up.

"Fine, I have to go to Pepper now but I want to be there when she wakes up," Tony demands as he makes his way out of the room.

~

Y/n's pov:

I carefully open my eyes and notice that I'm lying on a hard bed, but the moment I try to sit up, a pounding headache knocks me down again. "Dammit," I mumble as I bring my hands to my head and this time sit up slowly. Only a few seconds later I look up to see Romanoff and Stark sitting in chairs and staring at me. "What?" I ask, widening my eyes a little.

"What happened to you?" asks Natasha in a strong voice, unaware that the worries in her eyes are ruining her little act. "That's none of your business, just be glad I'm here," I reply as I lean forward with my arms on my legs and clasp my hands together. And to that, Tony leans back with his arms folded and looks at Natasha. "I told you this was a bad idea."

Natasha glares at him for a moment as she runs her tongue over the inside of her mouth before turning her face back to me. "Okay," she begins her sentence. "I know that we're very different but-"

"Are we?" I cut her off, making her look at me in surprise for a moment. I wait to continue talking until Romanoff's face changes to an expectant look, showing that she wants an explanation. "You weren't always a hero, I wasn't always a villain. At some point, we were all just kids, nothing more. But then things happened that changed us, just in different ways," I make my point.

A brief silence falls as I fix my eyes on the thoughtful Romanoff. For some reason, I hate talking to her like that. Maybe because I've never seen such beautiful deep green eyes before, or because I'm not used to someone caring about me as she does. But I shouldn't feel that way, I should hate her. After all, I'm here to kill her, but what if I don't want to?

"Those different ways decide a lot about who we are," Natasha speaks, knocking me out of my thoughts once again as she adds, "So, who are you now?" I take a few seconds to think about a good answer as I have no intention of telling her my identity or sharing my life story. "I'm a person locked in a cage if you didn't see that yet," I eventually answer.

I form a small smirk on my face whereupon Natasha leans back in her chair with a deep sigh and Tony slightly shakes his head irritated and draws a conclusion, "You're crazy." I smile at him briefly and lean against the wall behind me with my arms folded too. "Yeah well, it's kinda hard to stay sane in a world full of maniacs," I respond to which Stark leaves the room.

I look at his back and not too long after that, Romanoff also gets up to leave me alone in my cell. An uncomfortable feeling rises in my chest at the image of Natasha turning her back to me, but I can't stop her, right? But what if I change my intentions a little?

"Wait," I yell as I sit up and start playing with my fingers, causing Natasha to turn around and look at me with a hopeful face. I hesitate for a moment but decide to pull the trigger anyway. "My name is y/n," I say softly. Immediately a small smile appears on Romanoff's lips and a little bit of joy glistens in her eyes. "Well y/n, I don't think you're crazy."

*****
A/N: Since overthinking is a big hobby of mine, it took me a while to find this chapter good enough and I'm still not sure. Is my writing style nice? Let me know :)

(I gotta stop switching pov's so much.)

Words: 1926