Chapter 1: Day Of The Reaping

Start from the beginning

'What happened? Why are you running? Are they starting with the Reaping sooner this year? I thought we still had two more hours before we need to gather ...'

Hermione and Ron both came to a stop in front of him. Ron was the first to get a hold of his breathing, so he answered Harry.

'No ... thank god no, mate, we still have two hours left. But you know my mother, she's absolutely dead set on taking care of you as well, so she asked Hermione and me to come to get you to help you get ready for ... the Reaping.

Another small sigh escaped him.

Not that Harry wasn't grateful for Ron's parents caring for him whenever they could as well, seeing as his own parents were dead and with no other existing relatives making him an orphan living on the streets most of the time, yet he hated the fact that you had to wash and groom yourself as well as dress as nicely as you could - which was basically useless seeing as the whole District 12 was poor as hell - just for the goddamn Capitol and their stupid Hunger Games.

'Harry ... I know you don't like it ... none of us do ... but please, Mrs. Weasley isn't far from a frenzy with Fred and George being you know Fred and George and time getting less and less to get everyone ready and presentable, so–'

'Alright, alright, I'm coming.', Harry murmured.

Leave it to good old Hermione and her reprimands to keep everything in its usual order.

Ron clapped him quickly on his shoulder as the three of them turned and started to slowly make their way back in the direction the residential area of District 12 was located.

'Sorry, mate, I hate having to dress up for the Capitol and their sick entertainment as well, but it can't be helped.'

Harry simply nodded in understanding.

'It's not your fault, Ron ... and I'm really grateful for your parents for looking out for me as well ... even though they are already busy enough as it is.'

'Don't sweat it, Harry. After all, that's what friends are for, right?', Ron immediately replied, grinning and nudging the back of his head playfully.

Harry just smiled as he looked over to Hermione who also had a gentle smile on her face.

Harry didn't know if he was getting sentimental but just at that moment, he was so happy to have these two around him that he felt downright grateful.

With his two best friends at his side, he had no doubt he would get somehow through the 72nd Hunger Games, just as the three of them had for the past two years since turning old enough to participate in the Games.

Nonetheless, Harry sent a silent prayer to his parents to protect his friends and the Weasleys in today's Reaping.

After all, he wouldn't know what he would do with himself if one or even worse two of them got chosen to become this year's tributes.

Harry couldn't suppress a shiver at that thought.

If only their lives weren't such a nightmare with such a cruel and oppressive government that took pleasure in destroying families and killing minors for the benefit of entertainment every year like a never-ending loop ... maybe then he would know what a fearless and free life would be like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Panem~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry stood completely still as Mrs. Weasley fussed over him once again, straightening and brushing off his clothes, before trying and failing once again to somehow tame his unruly raven black hair.

The small living room of the Weasley home felt almost claustrophobic with all the Weasleys plus himself in there.

Well, not all the Weasleys since Ron's brother Percy actually had managed to achieve the rarest of the rare somehow, landing a job at the Capitol of all places with only 18 at the beginning of this year, thus freeing himself from his last eligible year as a potential tribute.