Change the past/// Venti

POV y/n

„Do you think Slimes can cry?"
No answer.
"Just imagine those things crying!"
Again, no response.
"They'd be too cute to kill, wouldn't they?"
A long pause followed.
"Do you think Master Diluc is depressed because he doesn't have a girlfriend-"
"Venti! I'm really trying to- wait, you have a point"
"I know, right?! That's probably why he doesn't like me," I looked up from my drawing to him.
"Oh please, what does that have to do with you that he doesn't have a girlfriend?"
Venti summoned a little breeze that flew through our hair. It was nice and warm today and we were sitting at our usual spot in Mondstadt. On the statue.
"No one can resist the Bard with his absolutely fantastic voice. No one has eyes for the grumpy old grandpa- ouch!"
I had rolled up my papers while he was talking and hit him over the head with it.
"What was that about!?"
"You sound pretty full of yourself, you know that?"
"Ehe," he just grinned cheekily at me and I smacked him again.
"Ouch," I laughed out loud and he joined in. Such moments were priceless and I never wanted them to end. The cathedral bells rang, a comfortable silence spread between us.
"Venti, may I ask you something personal?"
"No, you can't borrow Devalin again."
"That was one time, it was just a bottle of wine that broke!"
"It was expensive!"
"Expensive my ass, you got it as a gift from me, anyway I was actually going to ask you if you regretted anything in your life. Like, would you have changed anything in your life?", he looked over at me surprised, the sun behind him was slowly setting.
"I...I know you don't just ask that question out of nowhere. I know you too well y/n, there's something behind that question, hmmm?", he scooted closer to me with a grin and nudged the tip of my nose with his. I laughed and nodded in agreement as I turned away from him with butterflies in my stomach and looked to the large tree outside the city.
He carefully slid closer so neither of us would accidentally get pushed down, took the papers from my hands and placed them under his thighs so they wouldn't fly away. Gently, he nudged me with his shoulder.
"If you want an answer, you have to answer me first," he winked with a grin and I had to smile. He never changed, and I hope he keeps it that way.
"You're really cheeky and mean Venti"
"Well, deal with it or deal with it, take your pick," I laughed in response and he just looked at me grinning.
"So now please tell me why you want to know and I'll answer you too".
"I'm just wondering... I could have done so much differently earlier, I could have avoided the Fatui for example and thus not brought shame on my family. Or-"
"Let me interrupt you here y/n"
"Wouldn't have taken much longer anyway"
"Flattering, but think about it: would your changes have gotten you where you are now?"
"I'm sitting right now though...no, I don't think so"
"There you go, why are you still thinking about it? I mean sure, everyone would have liked to change something in their life, but honestly, it would have never gotten to where it is now. Good or bad, there's a reason why we make decisions."
"I cannot follow you Venti"
"Let me explain it this way, I would have liked to change something in my past too, but I don't want to because I wouldn't be sitting here with you right now, maybe I wouldn't even be at Archon, maybe I wouldn't even be here in Mondstadt. I just couldn't if I had the option. To answer your question right away, no I don't regret anything and I wouldn't change anything."
I just looked at him surprised but thought about what he said. He was right.
"Wow, honestly, I wouldn't have thought-"
"That I could ever be serious? Of course, no one thinks of that".
I then grabbed my papers from under his thighs and hit him over the head with them again.
"Stop it, have you had a drink without me today, eh?"
"Isn't that what you were about to say?"
"No!", I said now confused and angry, but my anger faded when I saw the look on his face, Never had I seen him so... sad? Well he wasn't really sad, more hopeless, like he didn't care about anything.
"Venti, listen, it never occurred to me to say that to you, because it's not true. I was going to say I didn't think you would actually not want to change anything, so your here and now changes."
"Why should I, I have you, Devalin and free wine from Master Redhead. That's enough for me"
"You're sweet, but I'm sorry to disappoint you."
Venti took dramatically a sharp breath.
"You're breaking up with me!"
"Venti we were not even in a relationship and that didn't even make sense now, I meant that Master Diluc's wine is not free".
"We haven't been together yet, but soon"
"Venti it's already late- wait what?"
"Yes, it's late. I'll pick you up later then we'll go to the tavern together", with that he stood up.
"Hold up Bard, not so fast, what was that supposed to mean earlier".
"Huh? It's really late, you were going to have dinner with Amber".
"No! I meant about being in a relationship!", in response he just gave me a kiss on the cheek.
"Ehe", then he jumped down and flew away. I stood there perplexed and then looked after him frustrated but with a red burning head.
"Ehe?! EHE?! VENTI!"